Smooth Painted Wall Made Of OSB - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

smooth painted wall made of OSB

Hi,

My house is a metal construction covered with OSB on the exterior.
The plates are screwed to the metal.
A seam of 3 millimeters is kept between the plates.
Ideally I would like the walls to be completely smooth and painted.
I was suggested to attach a metallic net to the OSB plates using nails and then plaster it, thus creating a 1cm strong layer which is not glued to the OSB. This should prevent it from cracking should the OSB "breathe".
On that we will putty and then paint.
I would be glad to know whether a simpler/cheaper/better method to get a smooth painted exterior wall made of OSB plates exists.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Michael

Advertisement

michaelr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What sort of OSB was used with the suggestion you did not have to cover it with some sort of membrane---especially if outside. I do not mind the stuff as much as some but if any water or serious moisture gets to it, it will swell and crumble? Usually builders wrap the stuff fairly quickly in tyvek or something.

I guess you could use some sort of sealing resin product and I have seen artsy OSB walls in interiors done this way. Look awful to me. But you do plan to prime and paint.

You cannot just float 1cm stucco (plaster is really used only for interior surfaces these days) without it being attached to something.

You could try thin metal plating, or argh ick, vinyl. I guess if going for a smooth look, for whatever reason. You do realize any attempt at a perfectly smooth exterior surface is going to dent and ding quickly right?

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

OSB is not a aproved siding material! it needs to be covered with a house wrap then sided. then painted other wise poof you have powder in a few years.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-10-2013), kwikfishron (05-10-2013), user1007 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I was talking about something like that:

Bust instead of the decorative layer to putty the walls and make them totally smooth and then to paint them.
Can you please expand on why do you think that it wouldn't stay smooth for long?

Just thought maybe there is a better way to achieve a smooth painted wall.
Maybe something similar to the way you smooth and paint interior gypsum walls. (Does it sound totally crazy?)

Thanks,
Michael
michaelr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelr524 View Post
Hi,
I was suggested to attach a metallic net to the OSB plates using nails and then plaster it
Sorry, your post suggested you planned to plaster, not stucco, over OSB for an exterior application.

You still need a waterproof membrane like house wrap or something over the OSB before anything else. Then you can prep with mesh or whatever the contractor you pick suggests for a nice stucco job as smooth as the artisans can deliver given the properties of the stuff.

You can even lime finish it for a Eureopean look like in the video if that is what you are seeking. You cannot if you prime and paint with other materials first though.

I thought you were asking us for some sort of siding material recommendations over exposed OSB.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osb , paint exterior , plastering , putty