Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Stairguy

Share |

Smooth paint surface

I was at a job site today after the painters had finished their work. This was by far the best work I have ever seen. There was lots of woodwork in the house, wainscoting, stacked crowns, and lots of other painted woodwork. I was told they sprayed it all. This stuff was so smooth that it looked like plastic. There was no orange peel, dust or other debris in the paint, or any other blemishes in their work. I have used hvlp guns in the past, and think I can do pretty good for not being my profession. I'm sure they use an airless sprayer though. Would that make that much difference? Or is it the type of paint or additives they are using. I really wish I saw them at the job site so I could pick their brains for a bit.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Smooth paint surface

Millertyme, as any painter will tell you, "It's all in the prep." I'm sure that woodwork was sanded, vacuumed, primed, sanded again, vacuumed, sanded again.......anyway, you get the point. Most professional painters I know can make any paintjob as "smooth as a baby's behind" IF, and that's a big IF, they are allowed the time by the contractor or the homeowner to do it up right. And, to be honest, using quality paint sure helps too.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

Smooth paint surface

we used to do those kind of jobs everytime. like Gymschu said it's all in the prep. we would spend all day sanding and vacuuming after caulking and puttying and then it would take less than 2 hours to spray the whole house. next day same scenario. we did 2 coats of primer and one coat of finish. like Gymschu said you need quality paint. we used benjamin moore impervo oil and all the trim felt like it was plastic coated, smoother than a babies bottom. the BM impervo oil comes out pretty good using a brush also.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Smooth paint surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
we used to do those kind of jobs everytime. like Gymschu said it's all in the prep. we would spend all day sanding and vacuuming after caulking and puttying and then it would take less than 2 hours to spray the whole house. next day same scenario. we did 2 coats of primer and one coat of finish. like Gymschu said you need quality paint. we used benjamin moore impervo oil and all the trim felt like it was plastic coated, smoother than a babies bottom. the BM impervo oil comes out pretty good using a brush also.

really?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Stairguy

Smooth paint surface

I have done projects in the past where I have primed with quality primers and used good paint but still haven't achieved results quite like this. Maybe it's the gun I use. I use a porter cable hvlp sprayer.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Smooth paint surface

yes 2 coats of primer. the guy i worked for did it that way. the primer sanded really nice and smooth, was sherwin williams and was half the cost of the BM impervo. i questioned it once and then after seeing how it turned out i was amazed. he used an airless. one contractor that was in a home show house we trimmed and painted stop by another job we were working on and asked how we got it so smooth, i told him " a lot of prep work".

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote