Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
fix it

Share |
Smooth old wallpaper glue

Hi - great forum!

I have a house from the 70's when wallpaper was "all the rage" and am now attempting to make the walls look normal again (just bought it last fall) in the main living area.

One of the previous owners removed all the wallpaper in the house (which covered all the wall surfaces except for the bedrooms) but didn't do a great job removing the glue. In some places you can see the glue line from the wallpaper seams. Other spots the "texture" from the glue isn't bad. The walls have been painted at least 2 different colors since the paper was taken down. Sanding the high spots works, but it is very time consuming b/c of the 2 paint layers and there is a lot of ground to cover with a quarter sheet orbital. The paint on the walls now is a fairly cheap flat or eggshell, drywall compound doesn't have any trouble sticking to it where we have patched.

What is the best/easiest way to get a flat surface again? Sand? Skim-coat? Leveling primer? Something else?

We remodeled a divider wall (widened dooway, added pass-through opening) so its drywall was redone...of course the new drywall is flat which makes the old walls an issue.

Thanks!

detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

The best/easiest way is to hire a rocker to re-rock it

Short of that, if you want to save some money, you're on the right track
Scrape, sand, and skim (and sand, and prime)

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Scrape the worst of the high spots first.Then you can thin the mud to the consistency of thick paint. Roll it on an area and immediately wipe it back off with a 10" or 12" knife. All you want to do is apply a "glaze" coat to fill any low areas, not pile on a lot of mud. Let it dry completely and lightly sand. Coat again (wipe down the opposite direction this time) to take care of "shrinkage". Sand again and prime. Touch up and paint. You may want to consider hiring a pro, but it is feasible for a DIY'er. Take your time....
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
fix it

Thanks for the advice...re-rocking is not really an option b/c this is the majority of walls in the main level of the house.

So, if I were to skim coat the walls, what would be the correct type of joint-compound and following primer to use in this application? As I mentioned there is paint on the walls now but it is somewhere between an eggshell & flat. I've been patching with Lightweight All-Purpose, but I realize patching is not the same as skimming a painted wall.

Thanks!
detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

You want to use regular old ready-mix in the 5 gal. bucket. I wouldn't recommend the lightweight. Ive not used it much at all, but the time or two I did (someone else supplied it) I didn't have much luck thinning it to get it to pull easily. I don't think you could thin it properly to get it to roll. Lightweight tends to nick and scratch easier too.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

Just read this response as i to am trying to come up with a solution after removing wallpaper and having glue build up. After having wallpaper up and down a few times and now want to paint. I saw a video on you tube where a guy does a skim coat with a paint roller. He does not say what compound he used. How do you get the compound thin enough to roll on. Do you just add water? How good does it work as i have never skim a full wall.
stevenson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
40+yrs Paint Trades

See my response on your other post.

hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote