Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Share |
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


Have a rental property that i need to paint. In the kitchen on some of the walls and a small part of the ceiling there is what appears to be smoke on the already painted semi gloss paint. The tenants tried to wipe it down with out much success. Do I need to do anything special before painting the walls?? Thanks

diylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Member
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Alabama
Posts: 309
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


I would sand the walls to scuff them, then i would wipe all dust off wall, and then i would apply a primer, such as bin or kilz or gripper, or gardz, then i would topcoat. I would also get your primer of choice tinted to the color of the top coat.

__________________
Sean
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Pro Painter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: northwest suburbs chicago
Posts: 448
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


More than likely, it's grease and or smoke. Even if you prime with a solvent base, it needs to be cleaned with something like tsp. If it's an enclosed or galley kitchen, with a little filter over the stove that blows back into the apartment, there's definately a film of grease. Sanding will probably gum up the paper.

Could be wrong, if it's only smoke, it should also be washed. If the tenants used soap, it won't look any better but will be ready to sand and prime. Grease will gum up the sand paper.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Pro Painter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: northwest suburbs chicago
Posts: 448
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


Quote:
Originally Posted by joewho View Post
More than likely, it's grease and or smoke. Even if you prime with a solvent base, it needs to be cleaned with something like tsp. If it's an enclosed or galley kitchen, with a little filter over the stove that blows back into the apartment, there's definately a film of grease. Sanding will probably gum up the paper.

Could be wrong, if it's only smoke, it should also be washed. If the tenants used soap, it won't look any better but will be ready to sand and prime. Grease will gum up the sand paper.

And, believe it or not, a thick coat of smoke or grease will produce odor right through the paint, if not cleaned properly.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Member
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Alabama
Posts: 309
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


Joe is absolutly correct. It was my over sight not to mention to clean the walls before sanding, which is what i should of said.
__________________
Sean
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


Quote:
Originally Posted by diylady View Post
...there is what appears to be smoke on the already painted semi gloss paint. The tenants tried to wipe it down with out much success. Do I need to do anything special before painting the walls?? Thanks
It depends on what it is as th the exact steps
But it should be cleaned (as well as possible), and sealed
The sealer would depend on what it is and how bad
It is more than likely going to need (at least) an oil-based primer/sealer
It is possible it may need the Big Guns, a shellac-based sealer

Frankly, as a rental, I would go straight for the Big Guns and use Zinssers BIN over the area
As rental, the stain could really be anything
Best to BIN it and no worries
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
Paint/Faux Artisan
 
Da Vinci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area, Northern CA
Posts: 97
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
It depends on what it is as th the exact steps
But it should be cleaned (as well as possible), and sealed
The sealer would depend on what it is and how bad
It is more than likely going to need (at least) an oil-based primer/sealer
It is possible it may need the Big Guns, a shellac-based sealer

Frankly, as a rental, I would go straight for the Big Guns and use Zinssers BIN over the area
As rental, the stain could really be anything
Best to BIN it and no worries
I agree. Don't use oil based, because grease and nicotine can leech through the oil product. Zinssers White pigmented Shellac dries fast and hard and will lock in odors and stains, provide you clean with TSP beforehand.

Bay Area Painting Contractor
Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Smoke on walls in kitchen


Thanks all for your responses. I got a chance to take a better look at it and it is definitely soot i think from candles,they were big candle people. Came off on my fingers and wasn't greasy.

diylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a step by step for framing basement walls/2x4's wrong direction/stairs??? xray328 Remodeling 27 06-19-2011 08:50 PM
bowing walls - repair? elementx440 Building & Construction 26 03-04-2009 03:07 PM
My Kitchen Floor-Problems!!! Please Help!!! Fat b Flooring 3 01-25-2007 03:21 PM
tin walls and kitchen cabinets MKemnitzer General DIY Discussions 6 01-05-2007 03:47 PM
Kitchen Cabinets and Walls ththomps Remodeling 4 09-18-2006 10:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.