Skinny Roller Covers? What Are They About? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Skinny Roller covers? What are they about?

OK, painting 3 bedrooms new sheetrock. I know I will be pounced upon for this (haha) but I watch alot of the home improvement show, I have been noticing ALOT of them using these (mini?) skinny rollers? I would guess at about 1/2 " as opposed to a standard roller or ? 1 1/2"? Is there a special use for them or are they new and for smooth walls? I see them (HGTV) using them for everything from painting wall to spreading contact cement for formica counters?

Advertisement

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

To be simplistic on the subject, I use them where I can't get my regular roller and maybe sometimes on cabinets. Might use them on some facing then backbrush.

Think of behind toilets or where door trim is close to a corner. When I use a mini on these corners, I will usually use the same knap as the regular roller used.

I have no idea why one would use a mini to paint a wall, unless, maybe, doing stensils for a border or the like.

Maybe the sponsor needs to sell more minis?

Advertisement

Last edited by boman47k; 03-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

mini rollers are have their purpose rolling around bathroom lites ,behind toilet tank and base ,above tub surround .small powder rooms ,rolling out a flat door ,behind a railing , but to roll out a complete room with one
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Aside from being able to get into smaller places, as mentioned above....
They are also useful in situations that you don't want to 1) pull out your big roller and trays and 2) to load a smaller amount of paint on your roller (for certain things I'd rather not pick up and apply as much paint as a big roller).
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,310

Yeah, there's nothing overly special about them, but, they sure do come in handy at times. As stated, great for cabinet doors, behind toilets, or to prime spots you have patched with joint compound........beats having to load up one of the big boys with lots of paint. You CAN paint a room with them but it's much more time consuming. I have used one to paint a room when a customer only had enough $$$ for ONE gallon of paint and I had to basically stretch that gallon so it would do 2 coats on the walls. One downside is that the mini rollers don't lay the paint on well enough to properly cover an area like a regular roller does.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

I watch a lot of HGTV as well. I rarely ever see them doing anything kosher when it comes to the painting. I think they do a real disservice to the DIY community. I've thought on a number of occassions to write and blast them, may even start it on my blog. This thread is a prime example. Seeing people on television leads those less knowledgeable to assume they're pros and doing the right thing, when they're not. You're in good hands here evil scotsman, as there is probably a few hundred years experience lurking in these threads.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (03-02-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

P.S. Mini rollers on a long handle are excellent for painting wrought iron railing as well. And old radiators, makes them a real breeze.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I watch a lot of HGTV as well. I rarely ever see them doing anything kosher when it comes to the painting. I think they do a real disservice to the DIY community. I've thought on a number of occassions to write and blast them, may even start it on my blog. This thread is a prime example. Seeing people on television leads those less knowledgeable to assume they're pros and doing the right thing, when they're not. You're in good hands here evil scotsman, as there is probably a few hundred years experience lurking in these threads.
Actually I DID think they were pros and knew what they were doing! BUT after reading your post and "THINKING" about it, a couple of those people were on a "IDOL" type show last year trying to "WIN" their own show. But I honestly did think they were pros. Must admit IF it came down to a DIFFERENCE in opinions between here and there, I always ended up taking here first, with the idea that you guys were the ones in the trenches everyday. And the rest was "JUST TELEVISION"

I have received a WEALTH of knowledge and advice from these boards and APPRECIATE EVERY BIT OF IT! I am a WANNABE Renovator but smart enough to know where to get the correct information!

Thank You ALL
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Reality TV isn't real?!? Give me a minute. I need to collect myself.

My mom watches one of these channels and I was subjected to repeated Holmes on Homes commercials that contained factual errors. It drove me crazy.

A friend of my sisters had her home 'remodeled' on one of these sorts of shows. The result was so tragically bad that a local contractor and designer volunteered to correct the problems for free (and for some local publicity - since nothing is free, right).

Advertisement