Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

The skinny on paint sprayers

I have several rooms to paint over the next little while, and Ive been thinking about paintsprayers.
Never used one before, so I thought Id ask and see what peoples opinion on them are.
Advantages, fallbacks, pitfalls, how far the paint goes vs rollers, perfered types, etc etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

phantasm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

If all you have to paint is several rooms, there's no decision to make. Roll the walls. Paint sprayers require every swinging inch of carpet windows and fixtures to be taped off. Not to mention AC return air ducts so you don't spread it through the house. I very rarely use a sprayer in a house, unless it's completely vacant, and it's a large area of painting.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Roll it. No need to spend a ton of money on a sprayed that may get used once every six years. Paint prayers can be can make a huge mess in a short time and they can be dangerous too.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cut and roll it. You save nothing spraying so few rooms unless your place is empty and you can get a deal on all the masking materials. If you are going to make color changes from room to room, spraying makes even less sense.

Now then, I guess if you have lots of weird angles, details and textures to cover spraying may be worth considering but even then I am not sure.

And the toy sprayers consumers get suckered into buying end up garage ornamentation at the end of the day and their first disappointing use. If you really have your heart set on spraying, rent a nice piece of equipment.

Tradespersons who use spray equipment every day fall into a different category I think and can do some pretty amazing things with spray equipment I would never attempt. They use only top of the line equipment, materials and techniques. I have called them in on jobs of mine and was never disappointed. I worked mainly on antique homes though so had little call over all the years for spray.

Last edited by user1007; 06-27-2011 at 07:20 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,132

Listen to the three posts above............you will save NO TIME spraying a couple rooms, in fact, with prep time, learning curve of using the sprayer, and cleanup, you will be much faster with the brush & roller.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

All good advice....I paint 50-60 apartment units a year ranging from 1-3 bedrooms as well as building exteriors .We roll/brush everything from start to finish. For us, time is critical and by the time you mask cabintry,glass,floors,fixtures etc., you will have half the job done by rolling and cutting in with a good angle brush.
My paint suppliers are always trying to push the sprayers on me whether they're plug-in or cordless and for me, it's not practical- time-wise nor financially......
I'm not saying that sprayers don't have a definate purpose....mainly large exterior applications and new construction...
But for what you're doing, rolling will be by far the best option.
You also have to put into perspective the technique of spraying, the additional products needed for thinning,masking and cleanup...
Just use a good roller cover- foam for smooth surfaces, 3/8" to 1/2" for irregular surfaces and even larger for masonry/stucco....Get someone to cut-in or roll to help you and it can be finished in a day or less....
Biggest thing about rolling/brushing is avoiding spills.
Good luck.
Bulldoggish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulldoggish For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm72 View Post
I have several rooms to paint over the next little while, and Ive been thinking about paintsprayers.
Never used one before, so I thought Id ask and see what peoples opinion on them are.
Advantages, fallbacks, pitfalls, how far the paint goes vs rollers, perfered types, etc etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
i bought a small air less with a roller atachment i love it . i well not go back to the old pan and roller . i painted all the rooms in my house in 1/2 the time and i did not have to cover the floor with plastic i had no drips .and i did the cealings at the same time
susee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Its not efficent or practical to use an airless sprayer for an interior re paint project on a couple of rooms. Even using an airless sprayer you still have to use a roller to back roll as you spray.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,132

I think these companies (like Wagner) market to the DIYers and make spraying seem like it's just so easy (when it's not). It really isn't the stroll in the park that those marketing depts. make it appear to be..............
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice guys.
I think for the extra work/cost and experience needed, its probably best to stick to the old fashioned way...
make the wife do it!

phantasm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phantasm72 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-02-2011)