Skim Coating Wall After Removing Wallpaper - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Skim Coating wall After removing wallpaper

I just removed wallpaper that has been up for some time . It was a Vinyl with a fabric backing so it came off very easy. The problem is that the walls under the paper are in very poor condition from previous wallpaper removal of a paper backed wallpaper, glue build up and wall ruffness with some unevenness. The walls are plaster wall as this is in and older apartment. I would like to paint but i need to skim coat the walls. I have never done it, about 240sq feet of wall. I have seen a YouTube demo of a guy named Video Joe Knows skim coating a wall using a bucket of joint compound and rolling on the compound using a low nap paint roller. Has anybody ever used this system. It looked pretty easy and for someone who has never skimmed coated it looked like it could be done by a skim coat layman. If i was to go ahead what prep is recomended

Advertisement

stevenson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

I would first remove as much old glue as possible and anything that's loose and then prime with an oil base primer before skim coating. I would use oil base to seal the old plaster. Sometimes water base will react with old plaster and not adhere well. The oil base primer will seal the plaster and promote a good base for your skim coat. After skim coating sand and apply a water base primer and then two coats of a quality paint

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #3

Anybody ever try skim coating using a paint roller as mentioned in the previous posts. Would it work if all was needed was to smooth out the rough texture left. How about sanding then coating with the roller
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
40+yrs Paint Trades

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenson66 View Post
Anybody ever try skim coating using a paint roller as mentioned in the previous posts. Would it work if all was needed was to smooth out the rough texture left. How about sanding then coating with the roller
I've done it many times. I'm a painter by trade and have stripped tons of W/C.
Sometimes due to improper prep or the wrong paste the walls get "chewed up".

Mask off and spread drop cloths, it gets messy.

First wash off as much paste as you can. I use HOT water and fabric softener (1 gal water, 1 cu softener) in a garden sprayer to wet the paste out, then scrape off with a 6" DW knife.

Using a drill I mix 5 gallons mud with 1 gallon white latex paint. This gives me a rollable material AND the latex helps defer mud cracking.

I use a thick roller nap (1 3/4-2") and roll approx 4' sq at a time. Then I smooth it out with a trowel. Using material the trowel picks up to cut in the base, walls and ceiling. Use a hawk or carry your DW pan for clearing extra mud from the trowel.

Clean your hand tools often. The paint in the mud dries and will stick to your tools.

Last edited by hoz49; 11-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

Do you use standard joint compound. I understand there are different thickness. Which do use. Could you put it on without mixing with paint and go straight from the can.How about using water to mix, thin it.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
40+yrs Paint Trades

Rewards Points: 75

I use topping compound. It sands easier. You could use water but you will probably have mud cracking. I like using paint.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Thanks for all the response to my skim coat questions after removing wallpaper. After reading as much as i can and viewing videos of it being done can i get a answer to , do you use ,joint compound 2 coats,light weight or regular. Do you use toping compound after one coat of joint compound . Do you use 2 coats of toping compound instead of joint compound. This is over a plaster wall. I have never done it before but with all the information i will take my time and try to do it.As they say if you don't try it once you will never learn.

Advertisement