Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
SPB

Share |

Skim Coated Walls question

I also just had a few walls skim coated. The taper is all done and the final sand is complete. I was wondering though there are little thin Scratches that are left from the sanding. Will these be covered by the primer and final 2 coats of paint. they are just like hairline scratches left from the 120 sanding block on most of the wall. I just want to make sure this is normal and they will be covered up and not built upon.

Thanks.

SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #2

alot of what you see at this point will fill with good primer. after primer your drywall guy should come back if needed and agreed to to point up blemishes

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
alot of what you see at this point will fill with good primer. after primer your drywall guy should come back if needed and agreed to to point up blemishes

The keyword in this post is GOOD primer. Do not skimp at this point. Put it on with at least 1/2" roller cover. All the blemishes should surface out. Use a 3/4" roller cover if you really want to be safe.

Definitely sand out any problems after you see how the primer looks. Spot prime again if needed. It is a pain to get paint off.

And you are planning on two coats of paint store paint right? Not box store crap like Behr?

Vacuum and rinse all the drywall dust off there by the way. Use a nice, big car wash sponge or big fluffy towel. Just this accidental wet sanding process may calm your concern by the way. Wet sanding is a great way to pull the last of imperpections out of drywall compound.

Last edited by user1007; 01-16-2010 at 03:33 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

The keyword in this post is GOOD primer. Do not skimp at this point. Put it on with at least 1/2" roller cover. All the blemishes should surface out. Use a 3/4" roller cover if you really want to be safe.

Definitely sand out any problems after you see how the primer looks. Spot prime again if needed. It is a pain to get paint off.

And you are planning on two coats of paint store paint right? Not box store crap like Behr?

Vacuum and rinse all the drywall dust off there by the way. Use a nice, big car wash sponge or big fluffy towel. Just this accidental wet sanding process may calm your concern by the way. Wet sanding is a great way to pull the last of imperpections out of drywall compound.
You do realize this is the same guy that is posting this?
Really Confused Please Help

I really think he is in need of more help than we can provide here.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You do realize this is the same guy that is posting this?
Really Confused Please Help

I really think he is in need of more help than we can provide here.
Yikes.

so
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Yikes is right
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
SPB

Sorry for any inconvience I am causing any I am just trying to make sure I have things right because I don't have the experience some of you do. i thought that is what this forum is for. I just dont want to keep spending money and not solving my problems.

One other question I had on my skim coated walls is that I wiped off all the sanding dust but noticed that the joint compound that is on the skim coated wall is pretty soft. A couple of time my finger nail created a little line. I am just making sure that it is suppose to be this soft and the primer and paint will make it as hard as my other walls in my house. If I try to dig into my other walls with my finger nail I cant. The firstskim coat was applied Thursday then he sanded and put another coat on Friday and did the final sand on Saturday. Plus 3 lightweight allpurpose joint compound was used for the skim coat. I am hoping to prime and paint Tomorrow but I just want to make sure all of these things are normal. Thanks to those of you for the help.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

see post #2
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
see post #2

Also it really seems like you are getting very pickey( little thin Scratches that are left from the sanding.) How close are you standing to the wall to see these? If you stand back 5 feet in normal light can you see them? Probably not,so your drywall guy did a good job.Do as has been recommended and all will be fine.