Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |

Skim Coat over Primer

Sorry for all of the posts and questions. Here is the next fiasco that I am running into. I primered the walls, and found a few spots that needed a skim coat to "touch up". I primered about 2 days ago. When I skim coated 1 small section, some of the primer peeled off the wall with my knife. Another spot I did, the joint compound went on without any problems. My guess is that I didn't wait long enough to do the skim coating. SO, the question is....how long must I wait for the primer to cure enough to be able to apply the skim coat? I am using SW Drywall Primer.

cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
DIY staff

Skim Coat over Primer

You waited long enough---for some reason the primer didn't bond well enough---

Drywall primer may have been the wrong primer---it is designed to seal raw paper and mud--not a painted surface---

A painter will be along with the right primer---I like water based Zinser 123---Mike---

Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Skim Coat over Primer

Mike touched on it- if you used something that was made for porous sheetrock and mud over sealed paint- it wasn't a bonding primer- so it didn't.
describe the walls you primed over.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Skim Coat over Primer

Too much dust on the wall?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Skim Coat over Primer

I used SW Drywall Primer. It was over an area where I had done some joint compound work. After primering, I noticed a few imperfections that I wanted to skim coat. When I did, it peeled off of the area with the joint compound. I did wipe the walls down with a damp towel before primering so I don't think that dust was an issue. On another area with the joint compound that needed a touch up, I had no issues.

The walls are part existing drywall that I sanded the paint before starting any work. Previous owners had dust, lint, paint blobs, runs all through the paint that we wanted to sand out. I have joint compound everywhere due to nail pops, dents, skim coats, etc. A few sections have new drywall pieced in because the old was just too damaged to repair.......so the walls are a combo of previously painted surface (sanded), joint compound skim coats, and new wallboard. That's why I chose the SW Drywall Primer.

Last edited by cougar01; 04-05-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Skim Coat over Primer

Skimming over drywall primer does that sometimes. The mud is wet and wicks its' way into the primer film and reactivates the dried mud underneath. A sealer/bonding primer would work much better although there are no guarantees. Let the bonding primer dry for 24 hours to be safe.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Skim Coat over Primer

I would think a quick coat of Gardz would make a vapor barrier and you'd be good to go in no time.
Gymschu (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Skim Coat over Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I would think a quick coat of Gardz would make a vapor barrier and you'd be good to go in no time.

Yes indeed
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

Skim Coat over Primer

Update----Well, I took my sanding sponge, and lightly sanded the area where the primer peeled off. Applied another light coat of joint compound to this area, and all is fine. The joint compound overlapped the peeled primer area and onto a primered surface. No peeling. It was just this 1 section that it happened to, so maybe the primer just didn't bond well in that spot. The other areas that I skim coated over some imperfections came out fine. Didn't bother the primer. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
The Following User Says Thank You to cougar01 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-08-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Skim Coat over Primer

NEXT FIASCO!

Ready to give up. Primered the walls with latex drywall primer and saw some imperfections in my joint compound work. Allowed primer to dry for 24-48 hours, and skim coated the imperfections. After 24 hours, sanded jc and spot primered the areas. Most came out fine, but I had a few spots where the primer blistered over the joint compound. Small blisters like the size of pinheads, although 1 or 2 are slightly larger. It was only light skim coated joint compound, and I let it dry 24 hours before sanding flush and then primering. Prior to primer, I wiped the patch with a very lightly damp rag....hardly wet at all --- to get any dust off. Then dried it with a dry towel. Trust me, the damp rag was barely damp and the patch was dry before painting.

My guess is that some sort of moisture got sucked into the joint compound? Anyways, I sanded the blisters back down after another 24 hours letting the primer to dry, and reapplied another coat of primer over the area. Blisters reappeared in the same spots.

So now what? I was planning on leaving everything sit until next weekend (1 week), sand the blisters back down, spray on white pigment shellac over the area, sand it smooth, and either (a) spot prime the area if it looks OK or (b) skim coat if blisters left noticeable imperfections and then re-primer. Or----do I need to do something else?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #11

Skim Coat over Primer

Leave the damp rag in the sink where it belongs. After sanding, dust it off with a dust brush. In all my years of painting, if I ever wiped walls with a damp rag, I can't remember it. A towel will not dry damp joint compound, it must air dry. If you sand the blisters out, then apply shellac, why would you need to prime? Shellac is a primer. Sometimes you can get into trouble with very fine skim coats over a sealed surface, which may be happening to you. Sand the blisters out, spackle them, then apply the bin (skip the drywall primer step), then finish. You should be fine.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Skim Coat over Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Leave the damp rag in the sink where it belongs. After sanding, dust it off with a dust brush. In all my years of painting, if I ever wiped walls with a damp rag, I can't remember it. A towel will not dry damp joint compound, it must air dry. If you sand the blisters out, then apply shellac, why would you need to prime? Shellac is a primer. Sometimes you can get into trouble with very fine skim coats over a sealed surface, which may be happening to you. Sand the blisters out, spackle them, then apply the bin(skip the drywall primer step), then finish. You should be fine.

Will this not flash? I think so. He will have mostly a surface with his SW drywall primer then his patched areas with Bin, sounds like flashing to me, although,I guess it depends on the finish coats.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #13

Skim Coat over Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Will this not flash? I think so. He will have mostly a surface with his SW drywall primer then his patched areas with Bin, sounds like flashing to me, although,I guess it depends on the finish coats.
There's a possibility of having a shiner if the finish is flat, but I've been finding them more and more rare these days, to the point where I don't really consider it anymore. I guess to avoid taking the chance, the bin could be hit with the drywall primer. Good point.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #14

Skim Coat over Primer

THANKS! When I sanded the blisters out the 1st time, I really couldn't see any marks left behind, but I skim coated to be safe. They are so small ---- literally pinhead size. When I first saw them after primer, I thought they were small pieces of dust or whatever that got caught in the roller or paint. They sanded out easily with a sanding sponge which led me to believe they were pieces of lint or dust. Then I realized they were small blisters. Anyways, per your recommendations, I will sand them out with the sanding spong, shellac the area, then primer. Think I will skip the joint compound and/or spackle step unless 1 of them really needs it. I think that the several skim coats over the sealed surface is also an issue, because that's what I've been doing trying to get everything just perfect. I need to learn that plain wallboard is never perfect. Am planning on topcoating with a satin finish.

Thanks for all of your help. This bedroom has been one thing after another. We've stripped and remodeled other rooms in the house without too many issues. This room, which we really thought was going to be the easiest of them all, must have a curse on it.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #15

Skim Coat over Primer

Since you are applying satin, and you already have satin first coat on, don't prime over the shellac. You may cause the opposite of the concern that Chrisn mentioned and I concurred. The primer is flat and may draw some sheen out of the only coat of satin you will have over the patch, and will vary from the rest of the wall which has two coats of satin. The shellac is a sealer and closely mirrors the sheen of the satin.

Practice progress, not perfection, which cannot be attained.