Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Skim Coat

Over the time that I lived in my house I have had my walls skim coated 2 seperate times. I just took off the wallpaper that was on there so I am now going to skim is again. My question is can you skim a wall to many times? Will it start to become delicate becasue it is built out so far with joint compound. Right now it is probably built out about 1/8 inch. This will will be the 3rd time and each time has been 2 light coats with plus 3 joint compound. The guy that is going to do it this time says he likes to use the Pro Form Lite joint compound. Is this a good choice? my biggest concern is for it not to be to delicate and dentable and chipable. Should I used something to make it harder like a oil based primer over the next skim coat then paint over that or will i be okay with then next skim with just a latex primer and 2 coats of paint. This is a main room on the house and I will probably be there for about 5 years but still want it to look really good when i sell it.

bigfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Skim Coat

You are fine unless there is wall damage. Not sure I would use the lightweight compound but will not push the issue. No difference in priming with either alkyd or latex in terms of adding surface strength. I would put a primer on before I skim coated again to have a surface other than paint to stick the mud to though. If you are not sure what kind of adhesive the paper had? Alkyd primer for sure.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

Skim Coat

no wall damage. If not lightweight mud then what mud and for what will I gain by going to to a different one? Will the lightweight dent and nick easier. My guy says he uses that lighweight so it sands easier. my biggest concern is durabilty since the mud will be built out so far. It will be to the point were there will only be a little bit more left of the little notch that is on the top of the baseboard.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #4

Skim Coat

would the sheetrock brand green lid be better suited and make the wall harder?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Skim Coat

Sounds like he uses the lightweight for his benefit, not the clients. Tell him you want regular compound or setting compound used. He may have to charge your more since it may take longer.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

Skim Coat

will the green lid be harder and more durable than the lightweight or will the outcome be the same?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #7

Skim Coat

is Sheetrock Plus 3 or Pro Form Lite going to be a harder mud when it is dry?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Skim Coat

It will not be as strong as the regular.The regular will not be as strong as dry mix setting compound.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
New Look Painting & Textu

Skim Coat

Plus 3 and pro form light are both light weight compounds.
Easy sand setting is also a light weight compound.
There really is no difference in how hard the dry finish is.
Dura bond dries harder but I would not skim with it, it does not sand very easy.
I would not worry as long as the total thickness of the skims are not more than a 1/4 of an inch thick.
I prefer pro form light because for me it is easier to tool, but it all comes down to personal preference.
Hire a trusted contractor and trust his judgement he does it everyday and knows what works best for him.
Remember it is just drywall you have to be careful or it will nick.

voiles is offline   Reply With Quote