DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sizing vs. matching paint for wallpaper

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Paintguy26 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm having some wallpaper put up in my bedroom (one of the only jobs I will NOT undertake myself). In the past I haved always sized the wall, but one of the guys who came in to do an estimate said I should paint the wall (that the paper is covering) the same color as the wallpaper (in this case a deep red) ... because he says inevitably the paper might shrink and seeing white will be more obvious than a similiar color red.

Now this is the first time I've heard this - I've always heard of sizing, never the other. This guy came with good recommendations other wise I'd assuming he's asking me to help mask his mistakes. Anybody have any input to add to this?

Tx!

#2 ·
I have never heard that one before...(shrinking wallpaper?)

have you been in older homes where the wallpaper has been up for 30-40 years??... it hasnt shrunk has it??

I believe he made that recommendation (like you said) to cover up he potential mistakes...

You could paint it... but you still should size it...

no second guessing this one.... sizing is a "standard" procedure...

I cant believe he made a recommendation to skip a step....

#3 ·
I'm pretty experienced with wallpaper removal and I've sized a few walls in preparation for a wallpaper guy, but painting is definitely my thing. I'm wondering if you could tint the sizing product. Maybe check with your local paint distributer and see if thats possible, then you might be able to paint with the tinted sizing. Just an idea.....good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.