Six Year Old Redwood Fence - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Six year old Redwood fence

The fence is discolored but in good condition. Should I use paint or stain? Paint much cheaper but which will preserve the fence better? The BEHR stain with redwood color will be around $90 and Kelly Moore E Coat around $30-$40. I also have some old KILZ I could use to prime the fence. The Kelly Moore comes in Flat, Semi-gloss, or Egg Shell. Does it matter for a fence?

Advertisement

Last edited by bbqwalt; 09-05-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: More info
bbqwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Six year old Redwood fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqwalt View Post
The fence is discolored but in good condition. Should I use paint or stain? Paint much cheaper but which will preserve the fence better? The BEHR stain with redwood color will be around $90 and Kelly Moore E Coat around $30-$40. I also have some old KILZ I could use to prime the fence. The Kelly Moore comes in Flat, Semi-gloss, or Egg Shell. Does it matter for a fence?

NEVER PAINT a redwood fence!!!! You don't want to deal with peeling every few years, right? Use superdeck's or cabot's wood brightner as a chemical wash. Wet the fence, scrub the chemical on with a nylon bristle scrub brush, let stand for 15 minutes, then hose off, or power wash off. Then a few days latter you're ready to stain. I would suggest applying one coat of Cabot's Austrailian timber oil, every two to three years. When it fails, it'll just fad away, rather than peel like paint.

Advertisement

hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote