Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #1

Share |

Silver barn roof paint

I have a 15,000 square foot barn roof to paint. I am going to paint with a airless paint sprayer. I am looking for the least expensive way to accomplish this. Is there a way to mix any of the paint with something else so that it yields more? Thanks

gturner2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

Silver barn roof paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gturner2012 View Post
I have a 15,000 square foot barn roof to paint. I am going to paint with a airless paint sprayer. I am looking for the least expensive way to accomplish this. Is there a way to mix any of the paint with something else so that it yields more? Thanks
Hey G...

If you want to go the least expensive route possible, consider using a fibered aluminum, or asphalt aluminum - although, personally I don't think I'd run either one through my airless sprayer. If you consider these, keep in mind that you may not enjoy the brilliance of an aluminum finish as sometimes these products are a little off-colored (especially the asphalt).

But before you do anything, is this a standing seam roof? If so, is it sheet metal or galvanized? Is it rusting in areas? What is the condition of the finish that's on there now? Are you really sure you want to go with the least expensive product (at 15,000 square feet, I don't think I'd want to have to repaint any more often than is absolutely necessary)? What type of prep are you willing to do prior to painting? Have you ever sprayed a roof before? Have you ever sprayed aluminum before?

Yes, there are extenders that you can add to your finish product, but I wouldn't recommend it - Not for a roof. Anything you extend the product with will diminish the overall film build of the finish, requiring add'l coats to provide adequate protection (mil thickness is a pretty important factor in a film's lifespan).

I have to assume this is your property, not a rental...and that you're not painting it just to put it on the market - So, without having all the necessary info to make a proper recommendation, I'd suggest this - Contact your local independent dealer and have him/her take a look at your roof for their best recommendation regarding surface prep and finishing. Shy away from the "least expensive" (cheapest) product as all aluminum paints are NOT created equal. Since you're looking in the neighborhood of 40 -50 gallon of material, the cost difference between a cheap product and a high quality product will be minimal when considering the entire scope of this project (especially if it means you have to climb up on that roof even one year earlier than you'd have to otherwise). Good luck.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 04-04-2012 at 07:27 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Silver barn roof paint

Yes, what he ^ said
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote