Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

silicon and mirror

I cannot recall where Iíve got an impression that the clear silicon would eat through the back of the mirror, since the clear silicon is smelly and the smelly stuff is acid, so one should use the black silicon to apply a piece of mirror on to the painted wall. Is this true? If not, which type of silicon should I use in this case?
Thanks very much in advance!

Andy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

silicon and mirror

What you need is a construction adhesive, not sillycone- BTW- silcone is made to be a water ( and everything else) repellent- so if it ever touches something that will EVER need painted- you have almost permanently screwed it up.
IF you don't know EXACTLY what silicone is and what it is for, please throw it away and never buy it again.
/ rant off- not just at you, but this is one of the most dangerous to painted finishes substance around. I get really uppity about it!! lol

Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

silicon and mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy21 View Post
I cannot recall where Iíve got an impression that the clear silicon would eat through the back of the mirror, since the clear silicon is smelly and the smelly stuff is acid, so one should use the black silicon to apply a piece of mirror on to the painted wall. Is this true? If not, which type of silicon should I use in this case?
Thanks very much in advance!
Is there a reason that you want to silicone the mirror to the wall? There are some very nice clips that you can attach a mirror to a wall. The clips are almost unseen even. They are avaiable at most supply places.

One thing about silicone......it is NOT paintable so if you ever remove that mirror, you will have a very difficult time removing all the silicone from the wall to paint.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

silicon and mirror

Before the reno, I took down the existing mirror and saw clear silicon on the back. Of course, it was hard to do and the painting and the paper on drywall came off with the mirror. I sliced the dried silicon and ready to reuse the mirror. However, I damaged the mirror. So I guess the clear silicon should be fine. I am asking here is because the old impression in my head.
I could buy the clip at 4 dollars but I prefer to glue the mirror. Plus, I already ordered the mirror from the top of splash to the ceiling without any cap to lift t he upper clipper.
PL glue for mirror is about $7.00. well, i do not really want to buy 1 bottle of pl only for one piece of mirror.
Andy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

silicon and mirror

So whats this got to do with painting?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

silicon and mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
What you need is a construction adhesive, not sillycone- BTW- silcone is made to be a water ( and everything else) repellent- so if it ever touches something that will EVER need painted- you have almost permanently screwed it up.
IF you don't know EXACTLY what silicone is and what it is for, please throw it away and never buy it again.
/ rant off- not just at you, but this is one of the most dangerous to painted finishes substance around. I get really uppity about it!! lol
Silicone is not a caulking material and most certainly not an adhesive. It is, as stated, a sealant and water repellent only. If you must glue the mirror, definitely use a construction adhesive.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
BraniksPainting (02-24-2012)