Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Silent Paint Remover - Infared Heat

I have a 2 story 1912 Victorian home in the CA Central Valley with multiple layers of cracked and peeling lead based paint that needs removing. I've started scraping and sanding but am getting no where fast. I really dont want to chemical strip and found the Silent Paint Remover and Heat N Strip on a couple websites. Has anyone used these and what kind of results did you have? Their website claims it doesnt get hot enough to start a fire. Any input is appreciated as I will be doing this job solo all summer long.

dkmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Haste Makes Waste

GOOD LUCK!!!! . I have a 1913 Victorian. Apparently when the plaster walls were done, they wallpapered every wall and ceiling in this house!!!
What I have found is the multiple layers of paint and paper have started to crack. Because of the thickness of the painted paper (96 years worth) I was able to literally peel or shear it off with a putty knife or a 5-n-1 tool. I did buy a paper removal tool and it will be handy in some areas. So I am wondering if this is all paint, or painted paper.

As far as stripping, if it is paper I was advised by one of the pros on here to use "Safe and Simple" paper remover. (It is still on order now so not sure how good it is). However, if this is paper from the teens, 20's and 30's it will probably have a wheat based glue which is very easily removed with hot water and white vinegar (about 3:1 ratio). You can add a little baking soda for a scouring agent if needed and liquid fabric softener for fragrance. I also added ULTRA DAWN to this (not regular Dawn). This worked great for me when I stripped the first wall. (It was paper only, no paint).

If this is just paint, it depends on the actual condition, whether you'd continue trying to strip the paint or just use mud to smooth out areas where it has chipped. WHATEVER....USE A RESPIRATOR IF YOU HAVE FLAKING LEAD BASED PAINT OR IF YOU SAND L/B PAINT. I didn't have to use a respirator, as I' have yet to be in contact with the l/b paint. I will probably will encounter it somewhere in this house, lol, but apparently the previous owners of 96 years didn't paint, just papered mainly, lol and NEVER removed any of it when applying more. Little lazy, ya think??

GOod luck....these guys on here will advise you correctly. I'm sure Slick, Mathew, 4th Generation or ChrisN (when back from vacation) will respond with some great suggestions for you.

Last edited by saggdevil; 06-08-2009 at 08:28 AM.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Sorry, my bad. First time user. The paint I need to remove is on the exterior clapboard siding.
On my interior I used oil base primer over the wall paper then used mud to cover the seams. oil base primed again the painted. The trick is to make sure you use alot of primer to seal the old wall paper to the wall.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

My house is a 1802 Federal. I LOVE my IR paint remover (my DH even built a home-made one so I could work double fisted). Used it for 150-200 hours stripping paint. It can get hot enough to scorch and if left near something flammable... I wouldn't leave it unattended...

Three thoughts:
- buy an extra bulb - I didn't loose one until around 95 hours in, but I was in the middle of a project and having to wait for one really slowed me down (it still worked, but half as well with one bulb instead of two).
- for clapboard you must sink the money on a handsfree stand. As much as a fatigue is an issue after holding it for half a day, it just works better.
- buy good scrapers. No discussion.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I have decided to take the plunge and buy one with a good scraper and probably buy an extra bulb as you mentioned. I'm a son-of-a-farmer and former steel worker ( jack of all trades master of none ) so I will probably make my own hands free stand.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #6

How did it go with the IR paint remover? I just ordered one and got a window scraper as well as a clapboard scraper. Did you sharpen the scrapers by yourself? How long did they last before getting dull?
jackhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

I have seen these in action , yes they work fine.
Not as quick as a gas burner but a LOT less risk of starting a fire.
nerd_flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #8

I have not made the purchase as my wife has lost her job. As soon as I can scrape the $ together from side jobs I will purchase. I appreciate everyones input. I need to get this job started soon.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #9

Look into those mechanical strippers...forget the name but search for it and you'll come across a system that seems appropriate here.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #10

Are you refering to the paint shaver? Thats the one that uses a rotary blade and needs to be hooked up to a Heppa - Vac.
Or were you refering to something else?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #11

Yup...HEPA because of the lead in the paint...how else can you collect it?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #12

Have you used one?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #13

Nope; I don't have issues with lead paint up here...