Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should we paint paneling?

Our house was built in early 70's and has been on the market over 2 mos. A few lookers said they didn't like the paneling in the downstairs family room. It is not cheap stuff, either. It is nice wood with interesting grain. Our realtor is trying to get us to paint it. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Bobbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

If more than one potential qualified buyer expressed a concern over the paneling and its the only sticking point then yes I would consider painting it.

Keep in mind the new buyer will be looking at it not you.

As an alternative consider getting a written bid from a painting or drywall contractor to refinish the walls and agree to reduce the sales price by the bid amount.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #3

my two cents, once you paint it, there's no turning back, if a couple people didn't like the paneling, my guess would be they really really wouldn't like painted paneling. No realtor expert here but wouldn't seem that paneling in the basement would be a deal breaker, if they really love the place they are already forming their own ideas of how they will change it. Painting it sure seems like a drastic move to me. As for two months on the market, in this economy, that is pretty short period of time.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I say either reduce your price so that the next HO can fix it to their desired taste. Or remove and drywall. Once you paint it you commited and a lot of people dislike painted paneling just as much as paneling.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #5

I think painted paneling looks worse than paneling.

Why not do something else with it, like maybe fill the lines with Bondo or something and wallpaper over it.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
I think painted paneling looks worse than paneling.

Why not do something else with it, like maybe fill the lines with Bondo or something and wallpaper over it.
Yeah i was also going to suggest skimming the paneling with joint compund or spakle and painting.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Agree, painted paneling is still paneling. I wouldn't spend the money unless it guaranteed a return. I would offer a price reduction at closing for some type of reasonable compromise as Sammy suggested. (After I had a contract.) I definitely would not let the real estate agent pressure me into spending money unnecessarily with no guarantee that it will close the deal. He/she works for you, not the other way around. Offer to paint it if the agent will split the cost out of the sales commission........see what the reaction is. The agent can tell prospective buyers you are willing to make concessions on the paneling issue and include a clause in the contract so everyone is covered.