Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Share |

Should Primer be Tinted on New Drywall?? My painter says no.

I have talked to a painter who I may use to paint my new construction home and sugested that he tint the primer to somewhat match the color of the finish coat. He said that I would be better off Not tinting the primer, and using white only. The finish color will be on the lighter, neutral side. Is he correct?

What is the best way to cover the walls in a qualty manner on a new house that I plan on living in for the next 25 years?

He plans on using Sherwin Williams products. Whish SW paints/primers would be best suited for new walls?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Pete33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

The correct way is one primer 2 finish coats. In a lighter color- any quality paint will cover in 2, so not needed. For deeper colors or hard to get like yellows and reds it is very important-
princelake (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

a regular white new drywall primer is the stuff to use. if you plan on painting a room a dark or really bright colour that is a ultra deep base paint then a tinted primer is recommended when mixing the colours at the paint store the computer will tell you if one should be used and how much tint to go in to get the best coverage possible.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #4

yup..I just had this discussion with my SW guy. He said you tint when laying certain dark colors over light colors.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Except in certain situations, I always tint the primer toward the finish color.
In your case I would tint the primer.

Last edited by dogris; 08-11-2012 at 08:20 PM.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I didn't like dumping too much pigment in primer. Among other things it sometimes made it difficult to see if it was a light color. I usually did about 40-50% of the finish color formula.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I didn't like dumping too much pigment in primer. Among other things it sometimes made it difficult to see if it was a light color. I usually did about 40-50% of the finish color formula.
Correct!
General rule of thumb is 50% full formula.

Oh. and if the finish coat formula calls for white tint, I exclude adding the white to the primer.

Last edited by dogris; 08-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dogris For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #8

Either way is correct.

DON'T fall into the fallacy of believing that tinting a primer will "save" you a finish coat though!!!

Optically, there's no benefit to tinting a primer under lighter/MEDIUM colors....ASSUMING....that the paint is being applied correctly. Too many people push paint too far, increasing the odds of paint "holidays".

If you can afford it, stay away from low-end PVA drywall primers! Primers in the Zinsser 123 class are much better.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faron79 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-12-2012), user1007 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogris

Correct!
General rule of thumb is 50% full formula.

Oh. and if the finish coat formula calls for white tint, I exclude adding the white to the primer.
I used this formula until I tried Behr Premium Ultra with primer in the paint. It's now my favorite paint. If you have to use SW tint primer. As also stated apply all the proper coats.

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDIY View Post
I used this formula until I tried Behr Premium Ultra with primer in the paint. It's now my favorite paint. If you have to use SW tint primer. As also stated apply all the proper coats.

primer IN the paint: no:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
DIY staff

If you have a good painter lined up---let him or her decide on the methods and paints to use.

A primer has certain qualities that a finish paint does not possess---so a sererate prime coat is a pro painters first choice---

Primers are thinner that top coats--they dry more quickly--sands well-(new work will have drywall dust and other crud stuck into it)--and is flat for proper bonding of the top coat.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Primers are thinner that top coats--they dry more quickly--sands well-(new work will have drywall dust and other crud stuck into it)--and is flat for proper bonding of the top coat.
Primers might be marginally thinner than paint but there are times when a high build primer is just what is called for. Something like BIN, one of the best stainblocker/primers out there for special situations, is much thinner than most paint.

There is no such thing as birth control and paint in one---unless she really does not like the color or you took months to paint so she could know she really does not like the color. There is no such thing as cream cheese and salmon spread and paint in one. There is no such thing as mocha latte grande and paint in one unless you spilled into a 5er. There is no such thing as stainblocker, primer and paint---or even just primer and paint--- in one. BEHR is behrly paint at all which is why pros do not use it. If it what it claims to be, they would be lining up like anybody else.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
DIY staff

I was trying to be nice and not slam Behr paint---I won't touch that brand for many reasons---

I do think,if you have a good ,experience painter, that the final decision on brands of paint and methods of application be left to him or her.

You want a great paint job---dictating products and methods to the painter may ruin that---

You could loose a good craftsman that way----I walk away when a potential customer starts to tell me how to do a job and those dictated include products and methods that I won't use because I know better ones.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Still going...

Not to take over his thread but I am now confused as to the purpose of primer? I thought it was to: "allows finishing paint to adhere much better than if it were used alone."

I've used both combinations, but traditional primer, usually tinted, on drywall as the OP questions stated. Just a DIYer so learning as well...

I cannot "see" anything in the Bear (sp) finish that makes it inferior? What should I be looking for? I wouldn't use it on wood or metal either.

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 08-13-2012 at 08:20 AM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
DIY staff

Primers seal new drywall quickly and allow for a quick sanding before the finished paint surface--

Also the flat nature of primer makes a good surface to apply drywall compound to touch ups--a finish paint might not allow that---

Primer is usually cheaper than finish paint---Three coats of paint are always required for a top quality paint job--one to prime and seal--two top coats for even sheen---

At $30 or more for a good paint---why use it to seal the new work when a fine primer can be purchased for less.

I don't like Behr paint for two reasons--low solids count---making for poor coverage---

And An overly thick base--causing difficulty cutting---won't flow out of the brush without thinning--
and uneven rolling---won't flow out of the roller evenly--leaving thick areas that can sag and thin 'holidays' as you finish the application.

If you can get an acceptable finish with Behr---you will soar to 'expert' level finishes when you switch to a good brand.
user1007 (08-13-2012)

Tags
drywall, painting, prime, priming, walls