Should I Tape/spackle Or Spackle Then Tape? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I Tape/spackle or spackle then tape?

I'm repairing 11 holes in my kitchen ceiling that my electrician had to make to move old lighting over to new spot and add 4 recessed lights. My question is, after tracing out the sheetrock patches and using aluminum stud or wood to support the holes and screw in the sheetrock patches, do i use mesh around the seems and then spackle or do I spackle the seems first then lay mesh tape or should I be using different tape? please advise all of you experts out there!

Advertisement

pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

If you use the mesh tape, put it on first than spread your first layer of mud over that. If you use paper perforated tape, lay a thin bed of compound down first, embed the tape in it, then smooth the tape down, adding compound if needed. Let first layer dry, add second wider layer, let it dry, then a third if needed.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

By the way, you need to be using Joint Compound, not Spackle. I think Spackle is more for just filling holes, Joint Compound is used for taping.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Actually, for mesh tape it's best to use a "setting" type joint compound for the first coat. USG "easy sand", available at HD or Lowes in powder form comes in a variety of drying times. Spackle is not meant for large patches, just minor dents and dings. Paper tape can be used with ready mixed (in a bucket) compound. The mesh applied directly to the patch gives a slight advantage. With paper tape and the mud behind it, you're starting off with your "patch" slightly raised from the surface of the drywall. Takes more mud to cover, thus harder to "blend" to a smooth surface. If you are texturing, not a big deal.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

For a newbi, I would suggest that you use readymix compound (5lb bucket). If it is too thick, you can add water and mix to thin it out, and make it easier to work with.
As stated, use only paper tape with ready mix. DO NOT use mesh with it.

For Newbis, I am recommending the ready mix over the bagged quickset (powder and mix yourself) ...because, the quickset has a learning curve to mixing it to the right consistency, and using it before it hardens up on you. Stick with the buckets.