Sherwin Williams Question... 1 Coat Or 2? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sherwin Williams question... 1 coat or 2?

Hopefully some folks with Sherwin Williams experience can give me some pointers here. Sorry for back-to-back questions, but after I started thinking about this, I think this one is specific enough to deserve a separate thread.

We're painting our older aluminum sided seasonal single-wide trailer. The existing paint is (95%) sound, just chalky. I plan on at least pressure washing, and possibly washing with TSP first. Any spots down to bare metal will be appropriately primed.

Assistant mgr I spoke with at the SW store pitched me doing 1 coat of tinted primer and 1 coat of Duration. This sounds dubious to me (is Duration *really* that good?). I'm also concerned about what I've read concerning the thickness and fast drying time of Duration. We're going to be brushing this on, and we're not pro-painters, so last thing we need is a paint that's going to be technically challenging for us.

So, my thought is to go with SuperPaint instead. Rather than going with the primer coat, I'm thinking of doing the first coat with Flood Emulsabond and then a second coat of straight SuperPaint.

Anyone have experience with this combination? Does this sound like a good or bad plan?

Also, I had a guy at a different local paint shop (I think they sell Pratt & Lambert) tell me that he thought using the emulsabond would be good enough that only pressure washing would be necessary, and that a TSP/detergent wash wouldn't be necessary for the chalking. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

Thanks much!
Mat

Advertisement

MatP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatP View Post
Hopefully some folks with Sherwin Williams experience can give me some pointers here. Sorry for back-to-back questions, but after I started thinking about this, I think this one is specific enough to deserve a separate thread.

We're painting our older aluminum sided seasonal single-wide trailer. The existing paint is (95%) sound, just chalky. I plan on at least pressure washing, and possibly washing with TSP first. Any spots down to bare metal will be appropriately primed.

Assistant mgr I spoke with at the SW store pitched me doing 1 coat of tinted primer and 1 coat of Duration. This sounds dubious to me (is Duration *really* that good?). I'm also concerned about what I've read concerning the thickness and fast drying time of Duration. We're going to be brushing this on, and we're not pro-painters, so last thing we need is a paint that's going to be technically challenging for us.

So, my thought is to go with SuperPaint instead. Rather than going with the primer coat, I'm thinking of doing the first coat with Flood Emulsabond and then a second coat of straight SuperPaint.

Anyone have experience with this combination? Does this sound like a good or bad plan?

Also, I had a guy at a different local paint shop (I think they sell Pratt & Lambert) tell me that he thought using the emulsabond would be good enough that only pressure washing would be necessary, and that a TSP/detergent wash wouldn't be necessary for the chalking. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

Thanks much!
Mat

Sounds like a plan. Skip the TSP wash

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
MatP (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Sounds like a plan. Skip the TSP wash
Thanks for the help! Gonna be picking up the paint tomorrow and will get started on prep this weekend!
MatP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatP View Post
Thanks for the help! Gonna be picking up the paint tomorrow and will get started on prep this weekend!

anytime, we are here to serve
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,300

Mat you're making this waaaaaayyyyyy harder than it has to be.........two coats of SuperPaint and you are DONE! Forget the Emulsa bond, forget any additives.........a thorough cleaning and 2 coats.......DONE!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (06-09-2012), Nailbags (06-09-2012)