Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

Sherwin Williams--ProMar200 and paint sheen?

I am hiring a painter to paint my living room and he uses SW ProMar 200 paint. I am not familiar with any of SW products and I was hoping some of you on here could help me decide what to use.

Is this paint decent or is it worth the extra $ to use Superpaint or Cashmere? I have 3 kids and the youngest is 2, so washability is a big thing for me.

Also, how do SW paint sheens compare with Ben Moore sheens? I like the look of aura satin on my trim in the kitchen, would a SW paint in satin be comparable or should I go with semi-gloss?

Thanks!

Hazelnut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

It all depends on what your painter included in his price. If he estimated your job with Pro Mar 200 and you want Superpaint or Cashmere, don’t expect to pay the same price. They cost more, and you shouldn’t expect him to absorb the difference. If he plans to use Pro Mar 200 “eggshell” finish then it’s adequate. Pro Mar 200 flat is a no no with children. I can’t speak for Benjamin Moore, don’t like and I don’t use.

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
It all depends on what your painter included in his price. If he estimated your job with Pro Mar 200 and you want Superpaint or Cashmere, don’t expect to pay the same price. They cost more, and you shouldn’t expect him to absorb the difference. If he plans to use Pro Mar 200 “eggshell” finish then it’s adequate. Pro Mar 200 flat is a no no with children. I can’t speak for Benjamin Moore, don’t like and I don’t use.
The estimate is for ProMar 200 and yes, I know the others cost more. That is why I am asking if they are worth the price difference, because I will end up paying for it.

No where in my post did I say anything about expecting the painter to absorb the cost of more expensive paint.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

Paint manufacturers today submit their products to MPI (Master Painter's Institute) for certification of quality standard and sheen level. Design Professionals, government, etc. all defer to MPI ratings. An MPI gloss level 3, eggshell will have a sheen range of 10 - 15 on a 60% gloss meter. Manufacturers have to stay within that particular range. The point being, whether your painter uses SW Pro-Mar 200 eggshell or Cashmere eggshell or Benj-Moore eggshell, the sheen range will be the same, however, film appearance may vary.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
handpaintedbysteve.com

It sounds as though you have your doubts with this painter. Did you pose your questions to him? Perhaps you should get a couple more bids with written specifications, that way you can compare apples to apples.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
registered

Go with eggshell. Its easiest to keep clean. promar 200 is fine. SW is great paint. Your better off not dropping superpaint or cashmere money with young kids.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Hazelnut3 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Paint manufacturers today submit their products to MPI (Master Painter's Institute) for certification of quality standard and sheen level. Design Professionals, government, etc. all defer to MPI ratings. An MPI gloss level 3, eggshell will have a sheen range of 10 - 15 on a 60% gloss meter. Manufacturers have to stay within that particular range. The point being, whether your painter uses SW Pro-Mar 200 eggshell or Cashmere eggshell or Benj-Moore eggshell, the sheen range will be the same, however, film appearance may vary.
Thanks! That's good to know.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
It sounds as though you have your doubts with this painter. Did you pose your questions to him? Perhaps you should get a couple more bids with written specifications, that way you can compare apples to apples.
I don't doubt the painter and I have emailed him already asking the same thing. I wanted to get more opinions.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #9

SW promar 200 sheen is quite a bit higher than Benjamin Moore. We did an accent wall one time with BM Superspec Satin and it was just as shiny as the Promar200 Eggshell. The cost in my opinion is not worth it for the higher grades.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

Hazel,
I have been using promar 200 for over 30 years and am very satified with it. I used to use eggshell almost all the time and was happy with the faint sheen and washability. SW also makes a low sheen eggshell in the promar 200 line. I now use that instead of the eggshell. It looks almost flat, but is still washable as far as the kids handprints and the like. Touchups are also easy to spot in instead of painting the whole wall. It cost a couple bucks more than the eggshell.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote