Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sherwin Williams Paint and Supplies

We just bought our first house and will be getting the kids on Wednesday. We plan on painting every room in our house next weekend with help of friends and family. Sherwin Williams will be having a sale and all their paints will be 40% off and we have decided to go with the Superpaint w/primer in it.. My question is this: all paint supplies will be 30% off, should I also get the paint rollers and brushes as well? And if yes or no, which ones should I get?

sweetredsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

super paint is excellent paint, but by no means is it a paint and primer in one in the truest sense of a primer .they have just now started to print it on label.its the same superpaint as always .as for their brushes and roller covers .i would use a 3/8 to a 1/2 inch nap purdy white dove and a 2 1/2 purdy sash or flat brush. these are very good paint and supplies and you can do a pro job using them. they will cost a few dollars more but its worth it .you can get these at the big box but with s/w sale it will be about the same price. have fun

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
super paint is excellent paint, but by no means is it a paint and primer in one in the truest sense of a primer .they have just now started to print it on label.its the same superpaint as always .as for their brushes and roller covers .i would use a 3/8 to a 1/2 inch nap purdy white dove and a 2 1/2 purdy sash or flat brush. these are very good paint and supplies and you can do a pro job using them. they will cost a few dollars more but its worth it .you can get these at the big box but with s/w sale it will be about the same price. have fun
My brother-in-law is insisting we use a paint and primer in one.. We were going to to just prime then paint. I think that since they are helping us they want us to just do the quickest way.. I am just torn on what to do.. I don't want to use a primer and waste all that time and money if we just only needed to do a couple coats of paint. We are going from Mauve to tan and blue to tan and tan to yellow! Any advice?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

with out seeing the surface you will be painting i cant say for sure .but with that being said ,if your painting over a latex paint , 2 coats of superpaint will be fine,
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Here is our living room entry way.. http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...e/EntryWay.jpg
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,146

No need to prime walls if they already have paint on them. SuperPaint, IMO, is SW's best paint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 150

Hey sweetredsoxfan,

There are two things you might want to consider. What is the cost of primer, and what is the cost of the Super Paint. Does it make sense to put on two coats of the expensive Super Paint or one coat of primer which will seal the walls and prep them for the finish coat for less cost? This primer and paint is nothing more than a gimmick. Sherwin-Williams came out with the primer and finish in one a few years ago as a product for the contractors to be used in the new home market. Think what it saved the painting contractor with regards to his material price and labor. Behr took the concept and ran with it at Home Depot and people just ate it up.

Sherwin-Williams Pro Mar 200 primer is around $15 a gallon and the Super Paint is around $30 gallon (I’m just guessing). Do the math. If two coats will be needed, why not do it right and use the products that will give you the results you’re looking for. Your brother-in-law only wants to do you a favor and go home and you’ll have to live with the results for years or wait for Sherwin-Williams to have another sale, not to mention the time it takes to repaint.

If I was bidding your home, the cheapest and best way, is to use one coat of primer and one coat of finish, I would also know the outcome and would be able to guarantee my work. Doing it your way, you can only hope for the best. Think about it.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

That must be some good paint if you can cover a couple of those colors in (2) coats. I would prime, in fact on that living room and the blue room, I would prime with tinted primer, just makes things better in the end.

And trying to cover anything with yellow is a chore, a chore which is much more easily completed with a tinted primer.

Mark
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #10

Should I get a tinted primer? What is a tinted primer? I thought all primers were the same..
Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Tinted primer has color added to it in a similiar shade of the same shade as your paint. Only problemis you have to get a different can for each room. As some of the other posters said....no need to prime since the walls are already painted. If any of the walls are painted with a high sheen like semi-gloss or gloss you should scuff or sand them a bit.

I bought SW recently on their sale price. You get a great paint for Home Depot prices.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetredsoxfan View Post
Should I get a tinted primer? What is a tinted primer? I thought all primers were the same..
Tinted primer is, the primer plus color tinting for the final color you select.

Say you want a tan wall, they will add the tint colors which makeup that tan color into the primer, they won't add as much as they will to the final paint type, just enough to get the base color on its way to your final color choice.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #13

Some are saying don't prime at all and others Are saying prime with tint.. Why so many different opinions?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
Experienced

If you notice that the recommendations for no primer needed were made before you posted pictures. The colors you are going over a deep tone colors which tend to "bleed through" even the best of paints.

Like one poster suggested, why do more than one coat with a good paint, why not prime, especially with tinted primer, then coat with your final top coat.

I would never suggest that you can achieve a good paint job with only one coat, even with tinted primer.

In order to get the paint color correct and uniform it takes a minimum of (2) coats even with a tinted primer, and if you are using a paint and primer in one (which I would not waste my money on) you will inevetibly need (3) coats over a couple of those colors as opposed to a coat of primer and (2) coats of final paint.

Do yourself a favor, stick with a good grade paint and prime coat the walls then finish it with the topcoat.

Mark

Edit --- You should also talk to your selected paint supplier / professional, I am sure if you show them those colors that you are trying to cover they will recommend something similar.

Last edited by Jackofall1; 04-03-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,030

Shame on Sherwin Williams for jumping on the paint-and-primer-in-one bandwagon. Shame.