Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

Sherwin Williams Paint Recommendations

I am just about finished with my drywall finishing and getting ready to add primer and paint. I finished joints only (so not level 5 or any other texture coating). I am looking for recommendations for specific primers and paint to use. Since this is my first drywall finish ever and is in the living room, I am looking for a high hide type primer and paint. I don't think I did horribly, but I am a perfectionist and I want it as good as I can get it

I do know to use flat, which I am going to do. Also, the color is going to be essentially a true gray if that makes any sense (I think one of the swatches we got was called Simply Gray). Not sure if that matters but there it is. Also, when I get the primer tinted, should it be the exact color that I am going for in the final product, or lighter?

Low or no VOC would be awesome if possible in this combination. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Mike

shelzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

I would only use flat on a ceiling, never a wall. Reason being it's will show every hand mark and near imposable to clean.
Any other sheen will work far better.
Just so you know no paint will cover flaws in in your dry wall taping. Once you apply the primer there going to show more. Just stop and fix them before apply the paint.
I use Zinzeer 123 with Sherwin Williams super paint. I'm sure Sherwin Williams has a primmer just as good, just ask while your in the store.
You do not need to have the primer the exact same color, a few shots of black in white primer will work fine.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. You are actually one of the first people I have heard actually not recommend flat (as it is more forgiving) for the wall. I thought that flat is easier to touch up than say eg-shel. We had that before and it wasn't too bad, but was just concerned because this is my first taping job and wanted to be as close to hidden as possible. I actually think(well, hope anyway) that I did a pretty good job. I did quite a few very thin coats, based on recommendations and feathered out to 12" on recessed and a litt further on butt joints. I completely understand that I cannot just throw a bunch of crap up and there will be some magic primer/paint that will make it perfect. I just want to avoid those that would overly-highlight my beginner status. The good news is that this is by no means a final wall that will be there for years to come. We plan on doing a major renovation over the next year or so in which case I would most likely redo most of it. We just bought a bunch of new furniture and had paneling on the walls, which we finally took off; however, the textured plaster wall underneath was in such bad shape I decided why not get the practice and make the wall a little prettier in the process.

Don't they make scrubbable flats now though? I haven't seen them anywhere or know anything about them, but was curious if anyone else had. Thanks!

Mike
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelzmike View Post
Low or no VOC would be awesome if possible in this combination. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Mike
On any of my jobs, I prefer flat paint on ceilings only, unless the customer specifically asks for the walls to be flat. Typically I use egg-shell or satin on the walls & semi-gloss on the trim. As joecaption said, if you use flat on the walls it is imposssible to wipe clean. So, here is what I use when painting new drywall. Either Zinnser 123 or Sherwin Williams Multi-Purpose Latex Primer. SW Multi-Purpose is a bit more expensive than the Zinnser though. Since you are looking for a Low VOC or 0-VOC, I recommend using Sherwin Williams Pro-Mar 200 0-VOC product. You could also use the SW Pro-Green which is Low VOC.
Hope this helps.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #5

I'm a Sherwin-Williams contractor and I use SuperPaint exclusively. Flat, matte, Satin, whatever you prefer on your walls. Personally I like SuperPaint Satin, but, if you aren't so confident about your drywall finishing, Flat is perfectly fine. Scrubbable flats were all the rage a few years ago, but, they are harder to find these days. Duration flat is billed as washable/scrubbable. It replaced EverClean in the SW scrubbable lineup. And, yes, flat touches up much better than any sheen.

As for primer, use SW's Drywall Primer. Covers all the gray of the wallboard & sands nice if you like that glass like finish.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Don't they make scrubbable flats now though? I haven't seen them anywhere or know anything about them, but was curious if anyone else had. Thanks!
Mike
Sherwin Williams makes a (supposedly) scubbable flat paint. It is their Duration (matte finish) line of paint. I have not tried it so I do not know how well it works.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

I have a scrubbable flat (Kelly-Moore 655 Acry-Plex 100% Acrylic Flat Enamel) in my living room and we love it, It has a rich look to it; my wife has cleaned it with Comet cleanser. (Thanks, grandson.) Buy a high-quality scrubbable flat and use it with confidence.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would only use flat on a ceiling, never a wall. Reason being it's will show every hand mark and near imposable to clean.
Any other sheen will work far better.
Just so you know no paint will cover flaws in in your dry wall taping. Once you apply the primer there going to show more. Just stop and fix them before apply the paint.
I use Zinzeer 123 with Sherwin Williams super paint. I'm sure Sherwin Williams has a primmer just as good, just ask while your in the store.
You do not need to have the primer the exact same color, a few shots of black in white primer will work fine.

That is just plain horse hockey. Any good paint line has a scrubble flat.
In nearly 30 years, well over 70% of the thousands of walls I have painted have been flat.
Do you actually paint for a living? I have to wonder.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. After going to SW and speaking with the guy there, I decided on their Multi-Purpose Latex Primer/Sealer (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...cts%20Redirect)

Additionally, I went with a Cashmere Flat that is scrubbable. They actually had the same thing on their walls in the store and it was nearly perfect for what we want - it is pretty much right between flat (which I want) and egg-shell, which my wife wants. I will try to remember to report back on how it turned out.

For now, I gotta get home at start the fun job of finish sanding and touch ups!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to shelzmike For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #10

When it comes to what finish I use on walls, my default is flat. It hides blemished much better and has a richer, classier look in my opinion. Light bouncing off walls imo is not attractive. If the home has young children, I might suggest a matte. I don't like going much above matte unless requested, or it is called for like a bath, laundry, etc. Flat enamels are scrubbable, even spec'd for low moisture areas. Let the flaming begin, but Behr makes a great flat enamel that I've applied mega gallons of in my days.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
I am just about finished with my drywall finishing and getting ready to add primer and paint. I finished joints only (so not level 5 or any other texture coating). I am looking for recommendations for specific primers and paint to use. Since this is my first drywall finish ever and is in the living room, I am looking for a high hide type primer and paint. I don't think I did horribly, but I am a perfectionist and I want it as good as I can get it

I do know to use flat, which I am going to do. Also, the color is going to be essentially a true gray if that makes any sense (I think one of the swatches we got was called Simply Gray). Not sure if that matters but there it is. Also, when I get the primer tinted, should it be the exact color that I am going for in the final product, or lighter?

Mike
Wait a few weeks and SW will have their Emerald line out zero VOC and it will the best paint money will ever buy.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. After going to SW and speaking with the guy there, I decided on their Multi-Purpose Latex Primer/Sealer (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...cts%20Redirect)

Additionally, I went with a Cashmere Flat

Mike
So much for your "Low to Zero VOC" paint that you said you wanted.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #13

Yeah, I know. To be honest...I was so wrapped up in asking all the other questions that I c o m p l e t e l y forgot to specify or ask about that.

Looks like the primer is low odor at least.

Mike

Last edited by shelzmike; 02-24-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, I know. To be honest...I was so wrapped up in asking all the other questions that I c o m p l e t e l y forgot to specify or ask about that.
Well I guess there's always next time. LOL. Have fun with the project and post some pics when you're done.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
When it comes to what finish I use on walls, my default is flat. It hides blemished much better and has a richer, classier look in my opinion. Light bouncing off walls imo is not attractive. If the home has young children, I might suggest a matte. I don't like going much above matte unless requested, or it is called for like a bath, laundry, etc. Flat enamels are scrubbable, even spec'd for low moisture areas. Let the flaming begin, but Behr makes a great flat enamel that I've applied mega gallons of in my days.

I will hold comment on that
Attached Thumbnails
Sherwin Williams Paint Recommendations-behr1.jpg  
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote