Is Sherwin Williams HGTV Paint Classic 99? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is Sherwin Williams HGTV paint Classic 99?

Subject pretty much says it all, anybody know?

20 years ago I semi-professionally painted for 5 or so years. I've done a lot of things since, but I still paint here and there, my projects, Habitat projects, etc.

I have always used Sherwin Williams, and I know a lot of pros don't care for them, but they were the first quality place in our area, and first with computer color matching in our area. So I have in that time always used what eventually became Classic 99. Only times I've been (actually my wife was) upsold into Duration, I regretted it. The Classic 99 always gave me 1 coat coverage and great predictable application.

So unfortunately they don't have it anymore, bought the last 2 gallons here a couple months ago for last project, now I'm onto another room and need something. Again I've hated interior Duration and won't touch it. Aside from box store stuff, SW is it around me, no BM, nothing else. It is SW or Lowes or Home Depot.

So the SW guy "implied" that the HGTV stuff is he thinks just a rebranded marketing ploy and still is likely Classic 99 but "he wouldn't swear to it." Anybody know, anybody use it, if so any better than something from a box, as wife likes a color on the Olympic pallette at Lowes.

TIA
John

Advertisement

wvukidsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

yes . its re labeled classic 99 according to s/w manger

Advertisement

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Actually, HGTV Home is not Classic 99. Like most private label products, HGTV Home was manufactured to HGTV's specs, even though Sherwin-Williams is making it. The two products are similar in general qualities, but they are not the same.

You should really try Super Paint if you haven't used it before. That is by far my favorite. I also like Cashmere, but not everyone cares for how it paints out. Duration Home is a specialty product, and it is great for bathrooms and kids rooms, but not something I would use for my everyday wall paint.

I have a couple of gallons of HGTV satin that I am going to try out, but I haven't gotten to them yet.
Xoch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xoch For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

[quote=Xoch;966971]Actually, HGTV Home is not Classic 99. Like most private label products, HGTV Home was manufactured to HGTV's specs, even though Sherwin-Williams is making it. The two products are similar in general qualities, but they are not the same.

and you know this fact, how?

Last edited by chrisn; 07-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,278

Suffice it to say, SW is not going to make a paint for HGTV that is BETTER than their store name brands although the HGTV name is a huge selling point. I used it in a kitchen and it worked just fine. I felt it was a step below SuperPaint. Let's face it, there's only a few manufacturers of paint products and they make the majority of the major name brands.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I know it's just a relabel. My P&L rep (also part of SW) confirmed this when he brought me the HGTV color cards to match for customers. The colors are even the same colors from the regular SW deck is a fancy new brochure. It's the same was with their flooring line. Shaw just relabels an existing selection of products with the HGTV brand.
ltd (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

Rewards Points: 25

I know for a fact that hgtv is not the old c99 product. VOC concerns are forcing paint manufacturers to reformulate or even discontinue certain paint products and SW is no exception. Currently your best product available in the SW line to match up to c99 would be pro classic wb or cashmere. I use cashmere for walls and pro classic for trim and doors
Cpcphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Suffice it to say, SW is not going to make a paint for HGTV that is BETTER than their store name brands although the HGTV name is a huge selling point. I used it in a kitchen and it worked just fine. I felt it was a step below SuperPaint. Let's face it, there's only a few manufacturers of paint products and they make the majority of the major name brands.
um...around 850 paint manufacturers nationwide...

Last edited by ric knows paint; 07-18-2012 at 09:56 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

[QUOTE="chrisn"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoch View Post
Actually, HGTV Home is not Classic 99. Like most private label products, HGTV Home was manufactured to HGTV's specs, even though Sherwin-Williams is making it. The two products are similar in general qualities, but they are not the same.

and you know this fact, how?
I am a technical sales rep for SW.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth
I know it's just a relabel. My P&L rep (also part of SW) confirmed this when he brought me the HGTV color cards to match for customers. The colors are even the same colors from the regular SW deck is a fancy new brochure. It's the same was with their flooring line. Shaw just relabels an existing selection of products with the HGTV brand.
Not a relabel of classic 99. Yes SW does relabel but not c99 on this case.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

From my discussions about Sherwin Williams teaming up with HGTV before they made the descision to do so and after they teamed up I can say that HGTV paint is not classic 99 or another paint re-labled. My discussions involve sales rep, there boss and Sherwin Williams management.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

[quote=Cpcphil;969103][quote="chrisn"]

Not a relabel of classic 99. Yes SW does relabel but not c99 on this case.

I am a technical sales rep for SW.[/quote]

I am not trying to be a snart a$$, but what else would you say?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

Like you I have better things to do than lie on a public forum. So rather than challenge someone's credentials, why not focus on what this forum is about and that is helping people.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvukidsdoc View Post
Subject pretty much says it all, anybody know?

20 years ago I semi-professionally painted for 5 or so years. I've done a lot of things since, but I still paint here and there, my projects, Habitat projects, etc.

I have always used Sherwin Williams, and I know a lot of pros don't care for them, but they were the first quality place in our area, and first with computer color matching in our area. So I have in that time always used what eventually became Classic 99. Only times I've been (actually my wife was) upsold into Duration, I regretted it. The Classic 99 always gave me 1 coat coverage and great predictable application.

So unfortunately they don't have it anymore, bought the last 2 gallons here a couple months ago for last project, now I'm onto another room and need something. Again I've hated interior Duration and won't touch it. Aside from box store stuff, SW is it around me, no BM, nothing else. It is SW or Lowes or Home Depot.

So the SW guy "implied" that the HGTV stuff is he thinks just a rebranded marketing ploy and still is likely Classic 99 but "he wouldn't swear to it." Anybody know, anybody use it, if so any better than something from a box, as wife likes a color on the Olympic pallette at Lowes.

TIA
John

This is kind of an interesting topic...but not for any other purpose than meaningless paint trivia. So far, we've had an SW guy (that has implied it is a cross-label but wouldn't swear to it), an SW store manager who said it is a cross-label, 1 professional user that says it's similar but not the same, another painting contractor that was told by his P&L rep it is a cross-label, another paint contractor that has had discussions with SW reps - their bosses and SW management - all who say it is not a cross-label, and finally an SW tech rep that adamantly insists it is not...

Did that answer your question, John?

The truth is, if SW is manufacturing product under the trademark name of HGTV - I can pretty much guaran-damn-tee they have a non-disclosure/secrecy agreement with HGTV regarding the make-up of this product. And, please, I mean no disrespect to any SW personnel or painting contractors that have responded thus far, but whether it is or whether it ain't (a cross-label), this secrecy agreement is sacrosanct in the eyes of SW, and that info would NOT be divulged to anyone in the company that has a status less than "need-to-know"....for the very reason you've seen here so far on this forum - people talk. If those people, who actually are in the know, were to speak publicly about the formulation of this product, or it's relationship to any existing SW product, it would result in a breach of contract between SW and HGTV that could then lead to fines, sanctions, lawsuits and beyond.

So, the definitive answer to your question is "maybe, maybe not"...

There! That should stir things up a bit...

Last edited by ric knows paint; 07-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
This is kind of an interesting topic...but not for any other purpose than meaningless paint trivia. So far, we've had an SW guy (that has implied it is a cross-label but wouldn't swear to it), an SW store manager who said it is a cross-label, 1 professional user that says it's similar but not the same, another painting contractor that was told by his P&L rep it is a cross-label, another paint contractor that has had discussions with SW reps - their bosses and SW management - all who say it is not a cross-label, and finally an SW tech rep that adamantly insists it is not...

Did that answer your question, John?

The truth is, if SW is manufacturing product under the trademark name of HGTV - I can pretty much guaran-damn-tee they have a non-disclosure/secrecy agreement with HGTV regarding the make-up of this product. And, please, I mean no disrespect to any SW personnel or painting contractors that have responded thus far, but whether it is or whether it ain't (a cross-label), this secrecy agreement is sacrosanct in the eyes of SW, and that info would NOT be divulged to anyone in the company that has a status less than "need-to-know"....for the very reason you've seen here so far on this forum - people talk. If those people, who actually are in the know, were to speak publicly about the formulation of this product, or it's relationship to any existing SW product, it would result in a breach of contract between SW and HGTV that could then lead to fines, sanctions, lawsuits and beyond.

So, the definitive answer to your question is "maybe, maybe not"...

There! That should stir things up a bit...
ric i like reading all your post . always informative. no stirring up here .and not to be a smart azz ,but really i don't care .i been around to long to drink the kool aid. with that said it is classic 99 just kidding

Advertisement

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote