Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 63
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
What it looks like to me is regular old flashing caused by back and forth rolling, with no overlap to ensure the final strokes all went the same way.
I was not in the room when they were back rolling. I understand your point about back and forth rolling. I will ask about this. You might be on to something.

Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Assuming that the walls and ceiling were skimmed with equal quality and the same colour was used on both, but the only difference is brand type and sheen. I'm wondering about the formula of that colour. "Cool" tends to have a hint of blue where I'm from and blue tint has a sheen to it. If the tints used have sheen mixed in with a dead flat base this can sometimes cause those mysterious up/down marks seen against a window reflection. BM ultimate used to have this issue frequently years ago before Aura.
Mix often, change ceiling colours, change sheens, change brands, roll one way, put up texture, lower the room temperature, alter techniques of application. Lots of good choices.

Good luck and hope it all works out.
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 63
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
Assuming that the walls and ceiling were skimmed with equal quality and the same colour was used on both, but the only difference is brand type and sheen. I'm wondering about the formula of that colour. "Cool" tends to have a hint of blue where I'm from and blue tint has a sheen to it. If the tints used have sheen mixed in with a dead flat base this can sometimes cause those mysterious up/down marks seen against a window reflection. BM ultimate used to have this issue frequently years ago before Aura.
Mix often, change ceiling colours, change sheens, change brands, roll one way, put up texture, lower the room temperature, alter techniques of application. Lots of good choices.

Good luck and hope it all works out.
This is the color we are using:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...1-greek-villa/
Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Spray pattern is a function of pressure - using a new tip may still give fingers in the pattern if the pressure is not adjusted properly.

I like a thick roller to keep the paint wet while rolling. Plus it's on a pole....so you can really roll large areas without going back and forth too much. I found using anything less made the job harder to work.

I hope you get your problem solved.
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,597
Rewards Points: 2,230
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


I will send a PM to Riggs and have hime come over.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
Painting Contractor
 
rbriggs82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Good morning DIYchatroom! Yes I too had this exact same problem with Superpaint which was tinted to Sherwin Williams Croissant. I'm not really sure if it was the paint itself or because it was a mixed color and not just extra white.

Same deal though, medium sized ceiling with lots of critical light and I rolled parallel to the windows with a 1/2inch nap, it striped like crazy.

The fix was rather easy I switched to the paint I've always used on ceilings prior and still do to this day, Sherwin Williams master hide. I can't remember if I gave it one or two coats but I can tell you afterwards the ceiling looked like it should and the striping was gone.
Master hide is about as dead of a flat as you can get 0-2 units @85 which is what you want, especially on a critical light ceiling.

Hope that helps!
__________________
-Ryan
ParagonPainting.com
Facebook |Google+ |Twitter
rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (08-04-2014), garlicbreath (08-25-2014), Gymschu (08-04-2014), Jmayspaint (08-04-2014), ToolSeeker (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #22
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,261
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


If they're not already, using an 18" or even a 14" always helps with roller marks. Twice the roller = half the laps.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,003
Rewards Points: 2,206
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Yeah, I mentioned 14" rather than 18" just because 18" can be a serious chore when holding it over your head full of paint on a ceiling for an hour. But 18" would technically be preferred.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #24
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,261
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc
Yeah, I mentioned 14" rather than 18" just because 18" can be a serious chore when holding it over your head full of paint on a ceiling for an hour. But 18" would technically be preferred.

Yes, an 18" can be a beast to handle overhead. What I'll ofter do for back rolling is use an 18" nap on a 14" frame. Its kinda floppy that way, but if your just back rolling and not having to dip, it works pretty well. Gives you the width of the 18" and the ability to roll tight with an open ended frame. Load the nap with the sprayer and its good to go.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,003
Rewards Points: 2,206
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


I'm wondering if an 18" cover on a 14" frame would cause problems in control, where the pressure on one end of the roller actually contributes to creating edges.....
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #26
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,261
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc
I'm wondering if an 18" cover on a 14" frame would cause problems in control, where the pressure on one end of the roller actually contributes to creating edges.....

I'm sure the potential is there, especially if your not used to using a larger roller. I doubt it would work at all for dip rolling.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #27
ltd
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 546
Rewards Points: 504
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
A lot of this thread confuses me. Level 5 ceilings to prepare for flat paint? 1/4" roller covers? 3/4" roller covers? What's going on here?

I've used plenty of SuperPaint Extra White flat on ceilings and never had a problem, so I can't be of much help in solving. I guess the only thing that strikes me is that this all sounds kind of overengineered and overcomplicated, which might be contributing problems. It's not a huge ceiling, why not just roll that paint straight on with a 14" roller? Obviously spraying has some great benefits, but in this case could just lead to premature drying, or incorrect overlapping. This is in a situation where you're going to be rolling anyway. I'd just put on a generous, wet coat. Although at this point, I suppose it's possible there are some ridge marks left by backrolling that are showing through? Using a short nap cover for a painting job like this (1/4") might lead to pressing too hard with the roller, potentially leaving edge marks.
yes,yes ,and yes .id bang it out with a standard roller ,but yes this is the answerer. really guys 14x24 ceiling we do it all the time it not that big IMHO
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 63
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


I am still waiting to hear back from my painter and the Sherwin-Williams rep. I will pass everyone's comments along to my painter. Thanks so much for your input and I will followup if we are successful with the repaint.
Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Saginaw, Michigan
Posts: 476
Rewards Points: 292
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


I was helping a friend paint his house and had the exact same problem. He first was using Behr interior white flat paint, and rolled it on and had streaks like crazy. I figured we rushed it or something, did a second coat, same thing. Then he got some of the behr premium plus flat paint, had the same issue, but not as bad. The other weird part was that a couple areas where the drywall seams were taped with the paper tape, it would start to bubble under the tape, but once the paint dried, it looked fine. That ceiling was the only time I ever had an issue like that. I always used ceiling paint, and multiple brands, and never had streaking like this. No idea what caused it.
taylorjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 101
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Sherwin-Williams Flat Superpaint Striping On Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbriggs82 View Post
Good morning DIYchatroom! Yes I too had this exact same problem with Superpaint which was tinted to Sherwin Williams Croissant. I'm not really sure if it was the paint itself or because it was a mixed color and not just extra white.

Same deal though, medium sized ceiling with lots of critical light and I rolled parallel to the windows with a 1/2inch nap, it striped like crazy.

The fix was rather easy I switched to the paint I've always used on ceilings prior and still do to this day, Sherwin Williams master hide. I can't remember if I gave it one or two coats but I can tell you afterwards the ceiling looked like it should and the striping was gone.
Master hide is about as dead of a flat as you can get 0-2 units @85 which is what you want, especially on a critical light ceiling.

Hope that helps!
Yup, we use Master hide on all our ceilings, new construction, spray on , back roll with an 18" 3/8 nap cover. Never had an issue. Just wear long sleeves and a hat though , it sprinkles like crazy.

JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Sherwin Williams Interior Line is equivalent to the A-100 Exterior Paint? arjun90 Painting 11 07-29-2012 01:19 AM
New drywall -Sherwin Williams Primer n0c7 Painting 11 12-22-2011 12:27 PM
Redoing flat ceiling to a vaulted ceiling sgtrock Building & Construction 2 02-20-2009 01:19 AM
Spray foam insulating ceiling under flat roof Jed Lukewater Remodeling 1 01-12-2009 07:22 AM
Pot lights in a drop ceiling Howdy Electrical 3 03-14-2008 08:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.