DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sherwin Williams Emerald or Pro Mar 200 ) VOC... lots of questions

41K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  747 
#1 ·
I have a painter coming over tomorrow to start a major interior painting job. 2 story foyer, kitchen, living room dining room, upstairs hall. He wants to use SW ProMar 200 0 Voc (we want 0 voc paint since it is cold here not much ventilation) in a flat and low sheen. After going to a SW store and talking to a salesman.. he said Emerald is much better paint. Now I really need washabilty for the halls and kitchen.. so is Emerald matte or satin good for that or should I stick with Pro mar 0 VOC??Also, the Emerald paint can did say 0 VOC BUT it also had that disclaimer of CA residents beware of carcinogens.... So is it really safe to use inside?
Matte finish - it seems it has some flash to it... so would drywall imperfections show up in my 2 story foyer? Thanks for helping this frazzled homeowner!

#2 ·
If wash ability is the goal, you will need at least a matte finish. Pro mar comes in either flat, or low sheen but not in matte.

Higher sheens will show surface defects and application errors more than lower sheens.
Matte is the lowest sheen that is still considered washable. (Low sheen is a little higher sheen than matte)

Pro mar is good solid paint. The low sheen can look good on walls if its applied properly, but yes it can flash and show roller marks.
Emerald matte can flash also, it all depends on having a good surface to paint over and the application techniques.

Emerald matte is probably my favorite interior wall paint. If it was me, and I wanted wash ability and the best possible look, I would go with the Emerald... Provided material cost was not a big issue.

#3 ·
Those CA warns are a joke.
I've bought anything from a leather wallet, a package of fishing hooks, even the air filled bags that were used in shipping packaging had those warning on them.

#7 ·
Does Emerald give off a lasting 'paint' smell? I know when I paint baseboards with Behr 0 VOV low odor... I hardly smell anything. For material costs.. SW just wrapped up their 40% off sale ( but the salesman said they honor the discount for 5 days :)) so I could get Emerald matte for $37 (not 62)/gal. Not sure how much contractors get for a discount...is it more than 40%?
Would Emerald matte or satin be best for kitchens/halls?

#13 ·
Well I think the first thing we need to know is more about the flaws if they are minor then no if they are bigger then probably yes. But if they are big enough then no paint will hide them, they will need to be repaired.
Another suggestion would be use a kitchen and bath paint for the kitchen they are more washable. And then use a matte or satin for the hallway, which should not get the abuse of cooking oils, grease splatters, steam, and so forth that a kitchen gets. In fact we used to paint kitchens in semi gloss because they were smaller and usually not much wall space and semi was very washable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.