Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |

Sherwin Williams Duration vs Benjamin Moore Aura

Hi all,

I wanted to get a feel for the experience people have had with the Sherwin Williams Duration vs Benjamin Moore Aura. As per my other thread, i will be doing interior painting only, and every room in the condo. Color will all be in the beige yellowish or creme type color, and will be matt finish.

What I am looking for: Easy Usage/painting, Long Lasting Paint, Scratch Resistant, Does not wear off if a child puts a marker on it and i have to clean it, Excelent Color.

If you have experience with both paints, the better!!! I know the Duration has a life time garantee and very resistant and their reps are well trained, I dont know if same is true with the Aura, however pll claim colors seem better, or that paint is ticker and easier to apply, but i dont know if it will last long and resist well to scratches. I am sure they are both great, but i have to pick one, so i need your help. Which would you recomend and why (very important is the why, give nice juicy details), and why do you feel one is beter than the other. Pls keep in mind i have never painted before.

So let the wars begin!!!

zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

There is NO paint that is going to hold up to trying to wash off magic marker or any serious scrubbing. The same for scratching.The lifetime guarantee I would also take with a grain of salt. read the fine print. I would vote for Aura for general all around durability.

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Aura is Ben Moore, trying to compete with SW Duration, SW already has made paints with all of the claims that Aura Claims, Duration can be used any where in your home, is available in more sheens, is washable, has a stain guard, burnish resistant, durable, low voc, mildew resistant, it covers well in any color, flows good and levels, we use Duration for our interior repaints and have used it hundreds of times with success.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Aura is Ben Moore, trying to compete with SW Duration, SW already has made paints with all of the claims that Aura Claims, Duration can be used any where in your home, is available in more sheens, is washable, has a stain guard, burnish resistant, durable, low voc, mildew resistant, it covers well in any color, flows good and levels, we use Duration for our interior repaints and have used it hundreds of times with success.

I could say the same and more about Aura( except fot the sheen part, they both have 3)

I am not a salesman for Ben Moore,I just believe it is a better product just because SW has been around longer does not make it better.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #5

The paint store I go to sells BM's Auro along with some other high end lifetime warranty paints. (Miller Evolution)

He claims your money is better spent with the next grade down. (like Superpaint vs Duration or Moorglo vs Auro).

His claim is that these high end paints aren't that much different then the traditional premium selections except for the price.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm not all that happy with Duration.

My favorite interior paint is Pratt and Lambert Accolade.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

i wasn't that impressed with durations stain-resistance. in a side-by-side test, i've had better results with Ace Sensations paint with Scotchgard. That stuff is pretty dang good.
noboru wataya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paint Doc View Post
your post is laughable, the Regal line is just as good as interior Duration. Regal easily covers as well as duration and doesn't fade in a room full of windows, check consumer reports 09 paint review.

Thats irrelevant, SW has been around for 8 years longer than BM and back then they were all making lead paint. So what. Its about how good the paint is today that matters. Old bread has been around forever too and its nasty, want some?

Better check the rooms with windows, Duration has been suggested to not be used in rooms with windows because of the color change. And it covers poorly in dark colors where Aura excels. SW lives off of making mediocre products (PM400/A100) where Ben Moore stands on only top line products (Regal/Moorgard).
Consumer reports? I really don't need to check there, I see enough testimony in person, using 100's gallons a year is enough proof for me. Duration has 100% acrylic binders one of the properties of acrylic binders is its color retention, consumer reports should check that
Old 06-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paint Doc View Post
Ya if Sherwin Williams would quick backing out of consumer reports. I wonder why the "no 1" paint in america is afraid of looking mediocre on consumer reports. I'm sure its pretty hard to put on 100 gallons of paint when youre at home on a beautiful day responding to blogs. Duration FADES just as bad as SUPERPAINT and everything else from there. What kind of company still shows their logo pouring paint on the earth? Either they are terrorists or total pollutants. Either way, the idiots in my neck of the woods don't know paint from the smear on the TP.
I've never had a problem with Duration dark colors or any color from SW covering in fact all of the years we have used SW coatings for residential and commercial use we have never had a problem or call back with any of there problems, that's why I give all customers a written warranty that I will personally repair any peeling, chipping, blistering etc, because that's how confident I am in the products I use and in my painters application

I'm not home. I'm at our office, I get alerts on my blackberry, we are a successful company, I have a couple of crews of painters, an estimator and so forth, so ya we literally apply 100's of gallons of paint a year and on a commercial project you can easily go through 80 gallons a day. You should really know something about a person before you judge them.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
I'm not home. I'm at our office, I get alerts on my blackberry, we are a successful company, I have a couple of crews of painters, an estimator and so forth, so ya we literally apply 100's of gallons of paint a year and on a commercial project you can easily go through 80 gallons a day. You should really know something about a person before you judge them.
He is a troll and should just be ignored. Any new person who comes on here( or anywhere) with that attitude is just looking for a fight.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

sorry, i said war, didnt mean to pick on another, just meant to pick on the paints and companies. Honnestly, with some of the comments, i feel more lost than i had started, other than knowing i want either a Sherwin or a Benjamin Moore. The fading issue i have heard in other forums too, but many are saying this is not the case, so for a newb like myself, its hard. About Benjamin Moore, i know they are more expensive, and that not everyone likes the aura cause the painting technique is a bit different than the standard technique, so some find it too thick and cant apply it as easily as a thinner one which you can brush over it several times, vs trying not to do so and letting the paint do its magic. As for dark colors, there wont be any in my house, so only facts on light beige type colors matter to me. Thanks for all the replies till now, i hope it continues.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #11

A lot of painters, like everyone, have their own viewpoint on different paints
But when posting those opinions respect must be given to other points of view
Those that post simply trying to start an argument will have their posts & their posting rights removed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #12

I went by our new condo area, and saw both a Sherwin and a Benjamin close by, so i will go have a look. Unfortunately, the sherwin closes by 6pm, which is a bummer, whilst the Benjamin closes at 8pm on thursday and friday.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
A lot of painters, like everyone, have their own viewpoint on different paints
But when posting those opinions respect must be given to other points of view
Those that post simply trying to start an argument will have their posts & their posting rights removed
Thanks,you can remove the troll post now that the instigator has been dealt with
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #14

I used Aura Semi Gloss on my garage door frame and 6 months later it is peeling. No more BM products for me. I should have use SW Superpaint.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #15

What are the differences between superpaint and duration, is there an advantage to superpaint over duration (other than price of course)?