Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Share |

Sherwin Williams duration vs. Benjamin Moore Aqua

I'm about to paint my two story house. My friend is advising me to go either with the Sherwin Williams Duration or the Benjamin Moore Aura. When I called the local BM rep, he couldn't assure me if the Aura line would last a long time since it hasn't been around. He recommmended me to go with the Moore Glo line of paint. The BM Aura on a gallon basis was quoted lower than the Sherwin William. Would appreciate if anyone can provide their opinion if one is better than the other or recommend something else. I'm looking for a paint that can last a long time (i know nothing can last forever).
Thx!

Last edited by hawaiiboy; 12-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.
hawaiiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

If it was me, I would go with the Aura, hands down.

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

A lot of people have differant opinions on this. I have not used the Aura, but have used the Duration over the past few years on countless projects, so I would go with the Duration. I've never had a problem with it. I really don't see what the Aura would have that the Duration Does not have.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If it was me, I would go with the Aura, hands down.
Me too. But then again I am a Benjamin Moore loyalist. If I was forced to another paint company. I would not so much as squeak or complain about Duration either. At least you are shopping for paint, where you should, in a paint and not a box store. See what deals either Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams are willing to cut you. Don't be afraid to ask, by the way.

Obviously and especially with exteriors, the key to a lasting a paint job is 90 percent prep and 10 percent application of the quality paint. Not sure why the Ben Moore rep told you he was not sure about the longevity of the Aura paint finish. I would fire the guy. Prepped properly and with nice application of paint? You will get at least decade or more out of either Aura or Duration.

Last edited by user1007; 12-27-2011 at 06:21 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
jschaben

I'm looking at 17 years on a coat of MoorGlo on my place. Did have to repaint some last year but not from paint failure, from grandsons artwork over it with a rattle can.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

The moore__ line is time tested and a good one. But both Duration and Aura are top notch choices too.
As has been said- the secret is really in the prep- then the qualities of a great paint have a chance.
user1007 (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I'm looking at 17 years on a coat of MoorGlo on my place. Did have to repaint some last year but not from paint failure, from grandsons artwork over it with a rattle can.
Just curious. 17 years for an exterior really makes one want to count in dog years or something. How much fading of the color did you notice with the patch up?

I had a nephew that rattle canned houses in the California hood. Never mine. I got him a top of the line airbrush setup and he does some amazing stuff these days. Gas tanks for Harley's and that sort of crap.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post

Wow, thats a looong time
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
A lot of people have differant opinions on this. I have not used the Aura, but have used the Duration over the past few years on countless projects, so I would go with the Duration. I've never had a problem with it. I really don't see what the Aura would have that the Duration Does not have.

Probably nothing, but as stated elsewhere, I like Ben Moore. You like Sherwin Williams. We both get the job done and have happy customers( I hope!)I just find the Duration hard to apply properly so would think that the typical HO would have an extremly hard time, same could be said for the Aura
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

Thank you all for the opinion. I ultimately went for the BM due to the pricing; $53.19 for BM vs $57 for SW. Both were transacted at contractor pricing. I had to travel a bit to get the BM paint. I just notice after my trip back at home that I forgot to get the pant for the eaves underside. There's a home depot down the road and being that the eaves underside are not so exposed to the elements like the exterior walls, thought of going with the Behr ultra (primer and paint). Any thoughts on this with going with the Behr paint? Thx.
hawaiiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiboy View Post
Thank you all for the opinion. I ultimately went for the BM due to the pricing; $53.19 for BM vs $57 for SW. Both were transacted at contractor pricing. I had to travel a bit to get the BM paint. I just notice after my trip back at home that I forgot to get the pant for the eaves underside. There's a home depot down the road and being that the eaves underside are not so exposed to the elements like the exterior walls, thought of going with the Behr ultra (primer and paint). Any thoughts on this with going with the Behr paint? Thx.
You have come so far grasshopper! Don't even think of putting BEHRly paint on anything, even the underside of your eaves. It is crap and just read about it in posts here and listen to some of us!? If you use it you will be sorry.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Just say NO to Behr
Attached Thumbnails
Sherwin Williams duration vs. Benjamin Moore Aqua-behr1.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Chris- you're really getting mileage out of that picture! lol
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Chris- you're really getting mileage out of that picture! lol
Well, it serves it's purpose
Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #15

Its really interesting to see so many in favor of B.M because I have not been impressed with the delivery of their products at all, yet on the other hand S.W has always delivered.... Go with the majority I would say, but personally I am not a B.M fan

PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote