DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sherwin Williams Duration Paint

16K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hammerheart14 
#1 ·
I have a bit of a delima. I am needing to paint the post, spindles, and hand rails on my porch. I want to use the duration paint made by Sherwin Williams and based on everything I've read it is a very good product. A friend of mine who is a painter and has been for 26 years says that I could get by on painting the rails and so forth with one coat. The Sherwin Williams people said that it is only a one coat application on previously painted surfaces and that to get a long life out of the paint should use two coats. My friend says that they are only trying to sell more paint. I'm really not sure what to do. I want to do it right and don't want to repaint every couple of years, but I'm also on a tight budget and can't afford two coats really. If anyone could give me some advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
I'm not a painter professionally, however I do have a job account with Sherwin-Williams and I like their products. I'm using their Harmony line in my house right now due to a pregnant wife (low/no VOC paint). Could you be satisfied that you will get a good long lasting finish with your Duration paint using a less expensive undercoating?

#4 ·
Sherwin-Williams Contractor Professional Opinion on Paint Coverage

The Duration line is a very good paint, when compared to less expensive paints, and will cover better. w/ that said.
In my experiences (lots) you'll find that your going to need two coats to get good coverage, and solid color throughout.
Two coats is going to hold up, alot longer, and a lot better than just one. While you have the project strung out, and the mess to deal with you may as well just put two coats on now! The result will be that it will last longer, and you will not have to repaint for a longer period of time.
With one coat, you'll be repainting in the future years sooner than you want. :huh: James

Crow Contracting Company - - - www.crowcontractingco.com - - - www.indianaremodelingcontractor.com
Remodeling Contractor - North Central Indiana, Indianapolis, Noblesville, Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, Westfield, Lebanon, Whitestown, Brownsburg, Sheridan, Tipton (765) 279-8271

#5 ·
(They usually don't tell you))If you have bare wood or repairs you still need to prime, even though Duration claims to be self priming. If the substrates been painted already you can use Duration, but I would still apply two coats for maximum durability. I have tried Duration for exterior work and have talked to my SW rep. In regards to Duration exterior paint. I've used it a couple of times for some small exterior repaints and still needed two coats. I personally prefer SW Superpaint for exterior with there A100 primer. Duration is mostly for re-paints of a substrate with a color that's similar to the existing color.

#6 · (Edited)
Painting new exterior (uninstalled) spindles - they are already primed - plan to paint two coats - is it better to paint third coat on them uninstalled or after installation? I'm thinking uninstalled would be the way to go (less mess, better coverage and time-saving) - house owner thinks third coat should go on after they are installed - sure would appreciate someone's thoughts on this matter!!!

(if painting before installation, I'd go back and paint screw heads)
patlind256@yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.