Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

Share |

shallow gouges

I'm not entirely pleased with the job I did removing wallpaper but it was a tough job.

When the sun shines in the bath window, on the one wall that's primed, you can easily see all the places where I scraped off the orange peel texture.

Other than covering the window, which primer and roller would be best to camouflage the shallow gouges? Textured paint is almost too expensive for me at 70-90 bucks at SW.

If nothing can be done I guess I'll learn to live with it and just be happy that 30 yr old paper is gone!

After priming is there a good moisture resistant paint at SW that I should use in a bathroom?

Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

shallow gouges

I am in the land of flat walls, that texture to me is nothing but a hassle.
Maybe someone who has to deal with it all the time will chime in.
I know there are spray cans to touch up, but they never quite disappear either.
BTW- if you have primed like I said in the other thread with oil or Gardz, you have gone a long way to moisture protection. Almost any QUALITY eggshell for a top coat will be good.

Startingover (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

shallow gouges

I'm never sure what folks mean buy "orange peel". Some people refer to roller stipple as orange peel and some textured walls are true orange peel texture. If it is only the roller stipple try rolling over the patched areas a few times to sort of give it a texture to match the rest of the wall then paint the whole wall.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #4

shallow gouges

I have used lightweight joint compound right on the primer to cover the imperfections then went over with primer after it dried and I sanded it. Finish coat never peeled.
mech_gui is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mech_gui For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

shallow gouges

First did you remove all the texture or just 1 area and you are trying to match it.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

shallow gouges

toolseeker,

No, I didn't remove all the texture. It came off "here and there" as I scraped stubborn spots of wallpaper. Also having to wet the wallpaper down so much made the texture come off easily as I scraped.

I don't understand why in some areas the wallpaper came off easier than in other areas. Either how it was applied or I'm not consistent in removing, I guess.

I'm working behind the toilet now, down near the bottom and it's really really hard to get access, but I can't afford to have the toilet removed for this.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

shallow gouges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
toolseeker,

No, I didn't remove all the texture. It came off "here and there" as I scraped stubborn spots of wallpaper. Also having to wet the wallpaper down so much made the texture come off easily as I scraped.

I don't understand why in some areas the wallpaper came off easier than in other areas. Either how it was applied or I'm not consistent in removing, I guess.

I'm working behind the toilet now, down near the bottom and it's really really hard to get access, but I can't afford to have the toilet removed for this.
When you get done with all your prep work you can fix the spots of texture by simply using the spray can from big box store. Make sure you get the one for orange peel not knockdown, and get the one with the adjustable nozzle, Homax is the brand I think. practice on a piece of cardboard till you get the size about right. I think the oil based one actually works better. dries in 5 min. prime and paint. If your still behind the toilet try adding some fabric softner to your water sometimes makes it come off easier and smells good.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Startingover (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

shallow gouges

toolseeker, thanks for the hints. I'll try that.