Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |

several problems while texture painting ceilings and walls

Hello all,

This is a useful forum and I'm glad I found it. I've searched a bit for background information, but I still have a few unanswered questions due to the nature of my repair.

I'm a DIYer and I made a few mistakes during my application of behr smooth texture paint (the red one). The wall we applied it to had a top half of wallpaper and bottom half of finished texture from a previous remodeling job.

I didn't read the behr directions carefully enough and we applied the texture to the top half after removing the wallpaper but we did not prime it first. I spoke with one of the weekend contractor guys at home depot and they recommended removing wallpaper, then priming, then texturing, then painting. If this isn't done, then apparently we risk getting moisture buildup under the texture after it's painted which could cause peeling, correct?

Most areas textured appear somewhat solid but it has only set for about a month. It may be notable that some of the areas with removed wallpaper don't seem to absorb the texture well. Those areas appear porous instead of textured. Perhaps I need another coat?

I am considering using a hopper to do an orange peel texture but the focus of my question is - how much trouble are we in for applying smooth texture with a roller to mostly removed wallpaper adhesive without priming first? If that's a big risk, I would definitely remove all current texture in order to prime and retexture.

After removing the old texture, and then priming, would I be able to use my remaining behr smooth texture to create the orange peel effect? Should I use a compound that requires mixing?

Secondly, we have a swirl pattern ceiling in a bedroom that had to have a panel of drywall removed to fix a roof leak. We would like to go over that with hopper-applied popcorn texture. Should the entire swirled pattern be primed in addition to the raw drywall patch before applying hopper behr popcorn texture for ceilings? Will the hopper popcorn application bond properly to the ceiling if sprayed directly on the swirled ceiling pattern without a primer?

We even brushed on a popcorn texture in two bathrooms without an oil-based primer. I assume that would definitely need to be redone.

Thank you for any feedback.

carrotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Hi carrotguy
Welcome
You've got a long post
It's a little confusing
I'll try and cut to the chase
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotguy View Post
- how much trouble are we in for applying smooth texture with a roller to mostly removed wallpaper adhesive without priming first?
A lot
...it might hold...it might be a disaster
I'd put money on the disaster myself-the Behr isn't going to help things
(sorry, that stuff has horrible adhesion)

If you asked me to finish this, I'd scarpe and sand anything that can come off, prime with Gardz (Zinsser's problem solving primer), then texture

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotguy View Post
Secondly, we have a swirl pattern ceiling in a bedroom that had to have a panel of drywall removed to fix a roof leak. We would like to go over that with hopper-applied popcorn texture. Should the entire swirled pattern be primed in addition to the raw drywall patch before applying hopper behr popcorn texture for ceilings? Will the hopper popcorn application bond properly to the ceiling if sprayed directly on the swirled ceiling pattern without a primer?
Technically (if I am understanding you correctly), that depends on what the existing ceiling has on it, and what condition it's in
In reality, you are best off priming the whole thing

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

...oh, and you def. want to start going to a real paint store for your paint products, tools and advice
You project will go faster, require less work, and look better when finished
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote