Settling House Painting Problems - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Settling House Painting Problems

I had professional people come in about 5 years ago (prior to my retiring) to repair sheet rock joint tape that were cracking, joints that were comming apart (I assume that it was the tape splitting). This 28 year old brick venieer house has continued to settle and I have the same problem in new, as well as in the repaired, areas of the ceiling and walls. In addition the ceilings are painted with a paint that has had sand mixed in with the paint. These ceilings have never been repainted. At this point we do not have the $$ to pay a contractor, and my wife seems to think that "we" should be able to handle it.
Lots of questions:
1. How to repaint the ceilings with a water base paint. Will the water (and even perhaps an oil base paint) desolve the bond between the sand and the paint/ceiling?

2. The tape is cracked and has peeled away form the walls and in the conrners at the ceiling. In some cases it would seem that the tape should be replaced across the ceiling and walls. Where it has only pulled away from the wall on one wall I could cut the tape away from the wall and calk the vertical corner left.?

3. There are cracks across the ceiling
Any suggestions, including books that might cover the subject would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Gungadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungadin
1. ...Will the water (and even perhaps an oil base paint) desolve the bond between the sand and the paint/ceiling?
That should not be an issue
However...is it sand...or is it a "popcorn" texture?
It's usually not an issue with popcorn, but it can be (a big issue) if it wasn't done right to begin with
Quote:
2. ...In some cases it would seem that the tape should be replaced across the ceiling and walls. Where it has only pulled away from the wall on one wall I could cut the tape away from the wall and calk the vertical corner left.?
You should cut out the bad tape, and re-tape
Whether it's a flat wall or corner
Joint compound should be used as opposed to caulk
Quote:
3. There are cracks across the ceiling
This is tough w/o seeing
They maybe could be filled if not too bad
Your actual ceiling texture (mentioned in #1) will have a bearing on this
If it's too far gone for that, re-taping is in order
But again, the texture...
You'll want to post up some more info on that texture
...or even a picture if possible

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Yes Master

Rewards Points: 25

Listen to slickshift. He shifted over here to give you slick words of wisdom. Everything can be fixed but the sanded, popcorn, textured ceiling could end up a disaster. If it wasn’t applied professionally to begin with the weight of wet primer could make the ceiling texture drop off.

Try testing a small inconspicuous area by spraying it with lukewarm water. If you can scrape it off easily I’d seek a professional to have a look at this mysterious texture. It could be that haunted texture I’ve been hearing so much about. Does it look haunted? Are there cold spots in the room? :o Don’t look in the closet!
MasterStrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Seems to me like you need to face the problem not the symptom; your house is settling. If you don't deal with that, it doesn't really matter how you repair the cracks now, they'll all be back later so you can try again. I hear you regarding the money, but your house is the big investment, not the ceiling. Just my input, good luck.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonus
Seems to me like you need to face the problem not the symptom; your house is settling. If you don't deal with that, it doesn't really matter how you repair the cracks now, they'll all be back later so you can try again. I hear you regarding the money, but your house is the big investment, not the ceiling. Just my input, good luck.
very true.

There is no way to permanently repair cracks in a house that is settling. It's hard to do in a house that isn't.

Milwaukee Painting Contractor
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
That should not be an issue
However...is it sand...or is it a "popcorn" texture?
It's usually not an issue with popcorn, but it can be (a big issue) if it wasn't done right to begin with
You should cut out the bad tape, and re-tape
Whether it's a flat wall or corner
Joint compound should be used as opposed to caulk
This is tough w/o seeing
They maybe could be filled if not too bad
Your actual ceiling texture (mentioned in #1) will have a bearing on this
If it's too far gone for that, re-taping is in order
But again, the texture...
You'll want to post up some more info on that texture
...or even a picture if possible
Reply from Gungadin:
In peforming tape repairs I would use joint compound not calk. THat was a typo.
THe problems in the ceiling are minor, but obvious, cracks.
The ceiling textue is sand. I have the original ratio of sand to paint, so I could spot paint. THat would mean I would have to mix at least a quart of paint/sand. That would not be a problem as far as the repairs. However I still wonder if it will be necessary, prior to repainting an entire ceiling, to remove the existing ceiling surface or can/should I paint over the sand. Can I use oil base or water base. In fact I do not know which was originally used on the ceiling?!!
As far as getting pictures on my cieling and wall tape problems, I will take some pic and put them up for your view. Give me a little time as we are going away for a short while.
Gungadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Rub the paint with a rag and a little alcohol, just use your finger in an unobtrusive spot. If the paint comes off, it's latex.

You don't mention the expansion rate of the cracks. How long did it take for the cracks to appear? Are they, have they been getting larger quickly? If you fixed them today,when would you expect them to reappear?

Advertisement

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote