Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
refinery worker

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

semi transparent stain for cedar shake siding

Have to replace cedar shakes on a dormer, do to new roof. planned on staining with semi transparent stain (To keep the natural look) before installing. should I treat the shakes before the stain or just put the stain on, Also I've read Benjamin Moore's Arborcoat is the best? Want a good product that will LAST.

jensek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensek View Post
Have to replace cedar shakes on a dormer, do to new roof. planned on staining with semi transparent stain (To keep the natural look) before installing. should I treat the shakes before the stain or just put the stain on, Also I've read Benjamin Moore's Arborcoat is the best? Want a good product that will LAST.
A penetrating stain won't work on sealed wood. It simply won't penetrate. You can use an all in one stain and sealer. Here's an option by Olympic for a combo tint and a combo semi-transparent.

There are other brands as well but if you prefer Benjamin Moore specifically, it appears that the "ARBORCOAT® Wood Stain ARBORCOAT Translucent Stain (623)" does list one of it's features as: "Creates a water-repellent coating." However I have no first hand experience with it and the product is not specifically listed as a stain/sealer combo.

To avoid confusion, call the local BM store and speak with a representative. Those guys and gals are very knowledgeable.

Good Luck!

InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 12

Are new cedar shakes sealed?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 46

Are these shakes on the roof or the walls of the dormer?
If there on the side walls what shape are they in now?
Reason I ask is if there installed to close to the roof that's a sure way to have them rot from the bottom up.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
refinery worker

Okay Thankyou For Your Advice. I Appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
refinery worker

I Don.T Know Thats Why I Was Asking If There Was Anything Else Besides Staining And A Type Of Good Quality Stain To Use. Yes They Will Be Under An Over Hang Of AtLeast 18 To 24 Inches. They Will Get Some South And West Sun. Just Wanting To Know A Good Quality Semi Transparent StaIn That Will last.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensek
I Don.T Know Thats Why I Was Asking If There Was Anything Else Besides Staining And A Type Of Good Quality Stain To Use. Yes They Will Be Under An Over Hang Of AtLeast 18 To 24 Inches. They Will Get Some South And West Sun. Just Wanting To Know A Good Quality Semi Transparent StaIn That Will last.
Semi trans stains of any kind don't last a real long time. If your doing them before instillation, staining all sides of the shakes will help. That's just the nature or semi, takes maintaince to stay looking good.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
refinery worker

Thats WhatI Planned On Doing. It.s Too Bad Certain Products Don't last Like They Use To. Thank You For The Response.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I used to think of Olympic, Cabot, and Sikkens when thinking about semi-transparent statins. And, SW Woodscapes for solid stain. Ben Moore was my primary brand for interior products but I never used their stain products and the formulation of the solid stain is fairly new and supposedly rivals Woodscapes.

Olympic was the brand I grew up with in the landscape industry and Northern California climates but since it has gone box store it is not the same product and I would not touch it any more. Classic quality for price trade-off I guess. Cabot has gone box store too and I don't know if with the same product line as still sold in some paint stores or not. I suspect not.

Sikkens stain products are still stellar as far as I know. The two step sealer and clear coat system works really well if you want to preserve the color of new shakes. You would move up to a semi-transparent mainly to start to even out any color differences in the cedar or to introduce a subtle amount of a different color. I still think of stains in these classes to be solvent based products but they do not have to be in this day and age.

The next steps up involve leaving a thicker film and pigment on the surface and I do think of Ben Moore or SW first I guess. And I think quality acrylic products have it over oil based when you start needing more surface pigment.

A semi-solid provides a finish where less of the wood color shows through but most all of the grain is still present. And finally solid stain allows some of the surface texture to show through but none of the wood color.

I think planning to maintain a semi-transparent product every 3-5 years is realistic. If you get more out of the products you will not be dissapointed.
Solid stains like Woodscapes are warranted for 8 years for whatever that may be worth.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote