Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Share |

Semi Gloss in White and Spackle Spots have NO Gloss - What's happening here?

So we just spackled our house after the kids have had 7 years of toys hitting walls etc... and after we primed and painted we're getting nice even Semi Gloss White everywhere except where the spackling is at. It's like little round polkadots everywhere that you can only see in the right light reflection angle. So it's not an unlevel surface thing, it's a gloss thing where all the spackle dots are flat in appearance while the rest is nice and semi - glossy (if that's a word). What did we do wrong?

We have 2 coats of this Valspar latex primer:

We have 2 coats of Walmart Colorplace Semi-Gloss White but in a 5 Gallon

It seems like (my guess) the porous spackled areas are drinking up the paint and not allowing the Semi-Gloss to build enough to hold a shine. But why is this? Should I have used a PVA primer instead of a latex for sealing the spackle? I suppose I could just keep on coating the semi-gloss until I have enough build. We did a test and it took about 4 coats in a test spot but I really shouldn't have to use 4 coats plus 2 primer coats (= rolling paint 6 times!!). I'd like to solve this for next time.

Last edited by 777funk; 07-30-2013 at 09:53 PM.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Your biggest problem is the brands you used.You should have primed the spots with a quality primer like Zinser 1-2-3 and then 2 coats of real paint not Wally World el cheapo deluxe.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

charley has it again

you wanna bet some carpenter from a southern state will argue this
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #4

Sometimes people are a little too quick to recoat spackled/patched spots. If you don't let each coat dry enough or not put on enough it will jst keep soaking in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

Wal Mart paint + 4 coats= sounds about right.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #6

The coverage of the Walmart paint looks good (two coats covers in terms of color). It seems to me the sealer is the problem (drinking it up and not building a seal).

As far as knocking the Colorplace paint, has it been tried or is it just an assumption. I've heard that it's made by Sherwin Williams and also read some good reviews on it. This is my first experience with it and I haven't compared side to side with say ProMar 200.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #7

I tried painting a bathroom with it the customer supplied it.It sucked took about 4 or 5 coats I refuse to ever use it again.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
The coverage of the Walmart paint looks good (two coats covers in terms of color). It seems to me the sealer is the problem (drinking it up and not building a seal).

As far as knocking the Colorplace paint, has it been tried or is it just an assumption. I've heard that it's made by Sherwin Williams and also read some good reviews on it. This is my first experience with it and I haven't compared side to side with say ProMar 200.
I have tried it. My daughter bought some green to cover an off white in her kitchen took 3 coats and should have had another. I have used it a couple other times with the same results. I have also used their exterior it was not quite as bad. I will not comment on something unless I have used it, or I will state that I have not.
Yes you heard correctly it is made by SW, what you have to keep in mind is I am a SW guy and I will say one of the worst paints I have used was a contractor grade made by SW. This is a paint made for Wal Mart so they can sell it at their price. Color place is one of the few paints that if the HO insists on I will walk away.
AS far as the spackle soaking up the primer if you used the real light almost foam type you may be right. What you are getting is called flashing and is common with this type of spackle. Since you have already painted, another coat of primer would not help. you can keep covering with paint or sand down the spots and respackle.
Also using semi-gloss will make these areas a LOT more noticeable.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #9

Interesting. We tried a Sherwin Williams paint last time and paid over $50 per gallon (vs. $90 for a 5 this time) and I wasn't impressed with that either (took 3 coats to cover the old color and was terrible to clean).

What brands are recommended around here?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
Interesting. We tried a Sherwin Williams paint last time and paid over $50 per gallon (vs. $90 for a 5 this time) and I wasn't impressed with that either (took 3 coats to cover the old color and was terrible to clean).

What brands are recommended around here?
You can ignore brands and try to learn more about which actual paint is quality. Because there is no such thing as "Sherwin Williams paint". Sherwin Williams makes crappy paint and good paint, just like Benjamin Moore, etc.

There are dogmatic people here who will tell you that Sherwin Williams paint is great, and Behr paint isn't worth the cost of the can it comes in. This is nonsense of course. It depends on which paint you're using and for which purpose.

If you had a bad experience with Sherwin Williams paint, then either you used a poor Sherwin Williams paint, or it was a difficult or incompatible situation. At $50/gal, the paint itself was likely not the problem.

The fact is, in this case it's not the brands per se that are causing you problems. Having said that, I doubt Walmart has a lot of quality paint, but it really doesn't matter what paint you use - if the patch has been applied correctly and sealed correctly, not even the cheapest paints should flash.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (07-26-2013), futtyos (08-19-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It sounds like you are noticing a dramatic difference but do remember it takes 30 days or so for the surface of semi-gloss to cure and often at least minor differences in sheen can even out over that time.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post

If you had a bad experience with Sherwin Williams paint, then either you used a poor Sherwin Williams paint, or it was a difficult or incompatible situation. At $50/gal, the paint itself was likely not the problem.

I should add that the SW paint we used was yellow over an old color with a lot of red in it so it did have a challenge as far as hiding the old. But regardless, washability (even a small food stain from kids) was not good at all. This was Satin but was advertised as a very washable paint.

I believe this problem is the sealer. I wonder though if better paint would have done a better job sealing the spackle. The spackle was the dry bag that you mix yourself by the way.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Again, I think we might be tripping over what any of us mean when we talk about spackle. I think of it as outrageously expensive, low density, worthless stuff that comes in tiny cans for filling nail holes or those made by a head through a wall in student apartment situations. I never use it.

The OP now suggests he bought a dry mix spackle product and I don't know that I have ever seen one in the US that was dry? Hot drywall mud I know about. Plasters too. Not that it makes any difference at this point since primer and paint is over what ever it was, but I fear I have no idea what patching material was used.

777funk, I realize I don't think we know where you are? You might want to update your profile to include basic geographic information.

Last edited by user1007; 07-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #14

Ha, I say spackle as more of a job but what I mean by product is basically joint compound. I buy it dry so I don't have it dry out on me over the years... just mix what I need and use it as required vs having half a used 5 gal sitting and turning to a rock over a few years. I believe it was Sheetrock brand by the way and purchased in Missouri.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #15

If it is joint compound and it has not cured throroughly, it will absorb the water from the primer and paint. This results in the flat spots you are seeing. Color Place is the entry level paint line sold in Wal Mart.

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote