Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #1

Share |

Semi Gloss Or Satin In Old House

We have recently purchased a house that was built in 1889. All the walls will need to be painted. My wife prefers semi gloss paint because of the shine and it being easier to clean. Friends have told me that semi gloss paint embellishes all the imperfections and the glare is bad. To restrict it to the bathroom and kitchen only. I was told to go with satin.

Any thoughts?

NewEnglandYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #2

If it were me I would use satin/egg shell in the kitchen and bath and go flat everywhere else. I played around with satin and egg shell and to me they all looked semi gloss and semi gloss looked like gloss I never liked any of it and am repainting it all now

STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B. View Post
If it were me I would use satin/egg shell in the kitchen and bath and go flat everywhere else. I played around with satin and egg shell and to me they all looked semi gloss and semi gloss looked like gloss I never liked any of it and am repainting it all now
Problem is my wife hates flat paint. Too dull and hard to clean. This is why I asked about satin for rooms other than bathroom and kitchen. Semi gloss in those 2 rooms are supposed to be good as a vapor barrier.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

Well satin or eggshell finishes dont hide anything so hopefully your 120yr old walls look better than my 100yr old walls. Besides how often does your wife wash the walls? Buy a scrubable flat?
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B. View Post
Well satin or eggshell finishes dont hide anything so hopefully your 120yr old walls look better than my 100yr old walls. Besides how often does your wife wash the walls? Buy a scrubable flat?
I think I'll go with satin, flat is unappealing.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #6

A lot of people use semi gloss in the bathrooms, utilities and kitchen. Its all personal preference. It also depends on the quality of the paint you use. If you go with a satin on the other walls. I wouldn't go with a cheap construction grade satin. I would go with a high quality satin or you won't be able to wash it any way. A low gade eggshell is about the same as a high grade satin, for sheen.
Go with a quality paint, not a cheap chain store paint.

You might want to consider, doing a little touch up with caulking or drywall mud before you paint.

Last edited by redmanblackdog; 01-19-2011 at 07:16 PM.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmanblackdog View Post
A lot of people use semi gloss in the bathrooms, utilities and kitchen. Its all personal preference. It also depends on the quality of the paint you use. If you go with a satin on the other walls. I wouldn't go with a cheap construction grade satin. I would go with a high quality satin or you won't be able to wash it any way. A low gade eggshell is about the same as a high grade satin, for sheen.
Go with a quality paint, not a cheap chain store paint.

You might want to consider, doing a little touch up with caulking or drywall mud before you paint.

Thanks for your reply/advice. I'll be doing a lot of touch-ups and caulking on these 100 year old walls. Wall paper stripping too.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

[quote=STL B.;573639]If it were me I would use satin/egg shell in the kitchen and bath and go flat everywhere else. I played around with satin and egg shell and to me they all looked semi gloss and semi gloss looked like gloss I never liked any of it and am repainting it all now[/quote]

I would agree, besides any QUALITY flat paint is washable.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #9

Using dull flat pain in every room except bath and kitchen isn't a option if the wife hates flat paint..lol
Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandYank View Post
We have recently purchased a house that was built in 1889. All the walls will need to be painted. My wife prefers semi gloss paint because of the shine and it being easier to clean. Friends have told me that semi gloss paint embellishes all the imperfections and the glare is bad. To restrict it to the bathroom and kitchen only. I was told to go with satin.

Any thoughts?
I would do exactly as was recommended to you. Semi-gloss in the kitchen & bathroom, and satin everywhere else. That is exactly what we've done in our house, and the rentals. We're very happy with it all.

But you're not talking about my house, and it's not my wife who thinks differently.

From a "hide or show" perspective, the higher the gloss the more it'll show imperfections. Not a huge difference, because you can see them all if you're looking. But if it's a smooth shiny wall, any little crack or dip is more noticeable.

Last edited by DrHicks; 01-20-2011 at 08:05 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #11

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #12

NE Yank,
one more .02. Check out Sherwin Williams low sheen eggshell. Looks almost flat, washes up nice. I used to use their eggshell all the time and then they came out with the low sheen eggshell. If you decide to get it, ask for it in their promar 200 line. The promar line is the contractor line and 200 is their best in that line.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Jack of all - master none

I can't stand when an entire house is semi-gloss. Everything being shiny makes it look cheap, IMO.

My last house, we used a lot of flat. Never again. Now, I use eggshell in most areas, satin in kitchen/bath, and semi-gloss only goes on trim.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I can't stand when an entire house is semi-gloss. Everything being shiny makes it look cheap, IMO.

My last house, we used a lot of flat. Never again. Now, I use eggshell in most areas, satin in kitchen/bath, and semi-gloss only goes on trim.
That's pretty much what my wife & I do.

We've also noticed that the sheen of satin, semi-gloss, and eggshell can vary quite a bit from one manufacturer to another.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #15

I just used Benjamin Moore Regal with the 'pearl' finish in my kitchen. I think it has just enough sheen, especially when the sun is shinning, but it is not 'shiny'. I have used a wet sponge to clean some smudges with no problems. I really like it!

sychopants is offline   Reply With Quote