Self-priming Ceiling Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Self-priming ceiling paint?

I just got finished building my new garage (something I have been waiting for for a long time). I want to paint the drywall ceiling and in the essence of time, would like to use a self-priming paint. I noticed Zinsser Perma-White eggshell and Ben Moore Muresco claim to be self-priming on new drywall. Has anyone had success using 2 coats of paint only on new drywall? In my home I would absolutely prime and 2 coats of paint but I'm not as picky for a garage ceiling.

Advertisement

slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickracer View Post
I just got finished building my new garage (something I have been waiting for for a long time). I want to paint the drywall ceiling and in the essence of time, would like to use a self-priming paint. I noticed Zinsser Perma-White eggshell and Ben Moore Muresco claim to be self-priming on new drywall. Has anyone had success using 2 coats of paint only on new drywall? In my home I would absolutely prime and 2 coats of paint but I'm not as picky for a garage ceiling.
Self priming paint and primer combos come in special, dark black, cans. You can only buy the ones that really work after or around midnight. In dark alleys. Send me a private message and I will make arrangements. Or...

Prime it!

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 11-19-2009 at 10:21 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
tamirh (07-07-2010)
Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Very helpful answer, I can't thank you enough.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think that - especially on drywall - you'd want a primer to fill in the miicroscopic voids in the paper; now primers are loaded not with ultrafine titanium dioxide like finish coat paints, but with cheap talc and clays that are there for that reason only. That's why apart form the cheap PVA resin, that primers are cheap.

Now the so-called one coat primer+paint products seem to be a compromise on both fronts; they're probably good primers but they'd make lousy finish coat products just because of the way they were formulated.
The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

For your ceiling ,2 coats of Ben Moore Muresco will do the job.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote