Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Second Coat of Stain

OK....this is the situation. I have an older deck that is in need of staining. Badly. It has been years. I bought Behr Premium (which I understand now is not so premium...). But that is OK. What's done is done an that's what I am locked into using for this time 'round.

I pressure washed the deck and set down the first coat. Then ran out of stain (probably had a quart left out of the five gallon jug.....but close enough!!!--- I now have another five gallon bucket of stain waiting for my attention). I let a weather pattern pass and now it's time to put the second coat on. It's Wednesday today and the small deck got stained last Friday, the large on Saturday. The directions state that the second coat should be placed within 48 hours. Unfortunately, that was not possible. It is obvious, just looking at it, that a second coat is necessary. My question is.....does the 48 hour rule really matter? Or should I just go double live gonzo and go for it. At this point, the deck had nothing on it. I had done a pressure washing last year and then the weather came in (and came in hard) preventing that staining project effectively until this summer. With a good weather system coming through, I want to get this baby put to bed and get at least some protection on it for the coming winter. Thoughts? TIA. *J*

Oh....specifics....if it matters. The stain is Behr Premium Transparent Cedar NaturalTone #501

PharmrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #2

Second Coat of Stain

Not going to make that much differance. You will be lucky to get much more then a year out of a transparent stain. They last the shortest amount of time.
And your not using one of the better stains avalible.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Second Coat of Stain

Transparent stains, especially those with good UV protection, usually last the longest time because they are not leaving pigments on the surface to weather and wear. Transparent stains absorb into the wood fibers.

What you get out of any Behr product is a whole different story. Go ahead and apply your second coat and pray it gets you through the winter. If you are really lucky, it might last you a year.

Next time your money will be much better spent on a decent transparent stain product. You really do not save anything if you have to prep and apply so frequently?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #4

Second Coat of Stain

Would it be wise to switch up stains right now? I can take that 5 gallon bucket back and get another.....Or would I have to strip off that which is already down. ....If that is the case, I think I would rather just put the Behr second coat down and start saving up for another pressure washer (my good one went down for the count). Now I just have an 1800 electric, which is weak.

If I could put a second coat of something good that would last, that, it seems to me, would be a viable possibility
PharmrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Second Coat of Stain

Generally speaking you cannot fix stain and paint problems from the surface down. And given the second coat of stain is really to blend color, you might as well stick with what you started with and hope for the best. Putting a nice Cabot or Sikkens stain over fresh BEHR is not going to help your situation.

If you get a full season or two out of it you will have done well and beat the odds. Switch to a better product next time. Chalk it up to a learning experience.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

Second Coat of Stain

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/w...ying-guide.htm
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Second Coat of Stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Unless I am missing something , you have to PAY for what amounts to worthless information

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote