Sealing Stickers On Kids Furniture - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sealing stickers on kids furniture

I just finished making a table and chair set for our kids and want to finish it in solid colors. I also want to have some stickers (such as Winnie the Pooh) on the furniture and want these sealed in. This means a clear topcoat. So, as I see it the options are

(1) Prime then water based flat finish then sticker then water based polyurethane

(2) Prime then oil finish then stickers then ????? the only thing I could think of was sprayed lacquer

Any other ideas?

Advertisement

dekastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Your color coat will determine what you will use as a clear coat.

What is the base coat going to be? Oil or water based?

Careful with trying lacquer over oil or latex--it will often lift the base coat or end up not bonding well.

Sounds like a fun project. It's been to many years since I've done this for me to give you more than general advice.----------Mike--------------

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply Mike. The base coat depends on what the clear coat will be if that makes any sense. The furniture is built and now I'm awaiting advice on how to finish it. I did try water based poly over latex paint in another project but the finish wasn't great.
dekastro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish paint alkyd