Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

sealing pressure washed (with some paint left on) pine barn boards

I have an 50 year old house, and the siding is pine ship lap siding. I pressure washed it and knocked off 95% of the white paint, (spotty), and realized I liked the look, especially when it was wet. I want to seal the boards with a clear sealer, and was wondering what would be the best? a polyurathane? Thompsons? oil? stain? or?

rednkbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2

Huge mistake to do any type of poly sealer.
If you go with a clear wood preserver you will get the look just a little darker but from them on no other finish will stick.
Not many people are looking for a house that looks like it needs painting.
What we have been doing is staining old house for the past 10 years where there's bare wood with Baur solid fence and siding stain. Once it's on you can not tell it from the old paint and I've never seen one peel yet.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Thompson's is wax based and an alright product for what it is. I should have used more of it I suppose because it will only get you through a season or less. Once committed to Thompson's it might take you 3-4 seasons to be able to paint or stain because of the wax.

I forget the name since I did not use it often but SW sells a nearly clear exterior primer. The reason I did not use it was because usually clients wanted a painted look.

I agree with a prior post. If you plan to be in the house for ages and it is all yours? Then by all means go with the totally neglected and distressed exterior paint job look. You will not sell it.

You sure you are just not trying to get out doing the prime and paint thing here Brotha? Remember, in addition to "look" the wood needs some protection from some sort of sealer or paint to survive---especially if it is soft grained like pine. It concerns me you got most all paint off with a pressure washer. I am guessing somebody forgot to prime in the first place?

MAB made a solid acrylic stain product that was loved by restorers. I have been out of the business for a time now but Sherwin Williams acquired the company and should have folded it into their line if they were smart. If some incarnation of the stuff is still around, it might be worth looking into for your application. It requires no primer but you will be at touch up at least once each year.

Last edited by user1007; 01-03-2012 at 06:45 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

I don't know of any clear sealer that holds up for more than a year or two. Log cabin manufacturers usually have a decent clear that they apply to the logs after assembling the house. You could look into that and go that route. If you really like the "distressed" look why not leave it as is? For all the more protection you get with a clear, you may as well leave it like it is. I'm kinda thinkin like sdsester, your house was poorly maintained in the first place. Why not do it up right with a proper paint job that will really PROTECT your investment?
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

OK guy's I know it sounds strange. This is the old house I was raised in as a kid, and I have been, and will continue to use it as a camp. But a nice camp. It has been neglected for a long time, don't remmember the last paint job, but was not much paint left, but it is time for a face lift. I have replaced a lot of rotten sills, joist, rafters, flooring, etc. Probably cheaper to dig a hole and push it in. I hope you get the picture. I am not afraid of work. The original plan was to clean paint off of walls, then prime and paint. Which still may happen. I got the walls cleaned off, and my wife, and I liked the look. (I could take off rest of paint) But I know I can't leave it like that without some kind of treatment, and expect it to last. I also do not want to have to treat every year. I thought thompsons, but thought it may not seal behind the paint? I thought a poly would yellow , and or peel, crack? I forgot the name, but saw a concentrated powder that can treat. I do not mind painting, just weighing my options. Any more Ideas?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Ready Seal http://www.readyseal.com/ What did you clean with? Oil based sealer. Or Wood Tux http://www.opwdecks.com/woodtuxwet.htm
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

I pressure washed with water only. Some paint stayed on/in the wood. What would be good to take rest out if that is what I decide to do?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednkbowhunter View Post
I pressure washed with water only. Some paint stayed on/in the wood. What would be good to take rest out if that is what I decide to do?
Peel away smart strip would probally be the easiest way and it can be power washed off. There are other alternatives, but I think that's the easiest.
If you stripped the rest of the paint off and wanted to apply a clear, as you originally mentioned I would clean the surface with a sodium percarbonate wood cleaner and then apply a wood brightner.
An oil base clear-translucent stain that is non film forming would be your best choice for a translucent finish. I prefer Sikkens SRD. I wouldn't use thompsons on anything, even if it was giving to me.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote