Sealing Garage Floor Painted With 2 Part Epoxy - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sealing Garage Floor Painted with 2 part Epoxy

Hi All, I have just finished painting my Ohio garage floor with a 2 part epoxy. Due to exposure to road salt, heat from tires and freezing temperatures, does anyone know of a sealer that can be put on over the paint that will give the paint a bit more protection and life?

Advertisement

GregfromOHio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You're not going to find a coating that'll be more impermeable or harder than epoxy paint.

What you can do, however, to increase the lifespan of your epoxy paint is put on another coat or two of epoxy paint over it.

Any other coating I can think of won't "seal" the epoxy because it won't be as impermeable as the epoxy is now. Also, epoxy is about the hardest field applied coating you can get, so any coating you put over it to protect it will wear off or wear out before the epoxy.

Your best be is to either apply more epoxy paint, or cover with a sacrificial covering like old scrap carpeting that you can chuck out at the end of every winter driving season.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank You Nestor! I found an Epoxy sealant made by Rustoleum. Unfortunately, once I put in on, I cannot repaint the floor without stripping the sealant off completely. Maybe your idea of the sacrificial covering would be best.

Thanks again,
Greg
GregfromOHio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Phone up any carpet retailer. Typically the homeowner will want the installers to also remove the old carpet, so they put it in their truck and take it back to the store with them at the end of the day where they toss it in the huge dumpster behind the store. If you want them to throw some of that carpet your way, I'm sure they'll put as much as you want on your car carriers of trailer for a $20 tip.

Scrap carpet is a good thing to use under your car anyhow because the dirt that collects in it isn't going to scratch up your floor paint.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote