Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing bottom of exterior door

I have an wooden front door that i have stripped and sanded and planning on staining and sealing. I know that I need to seal all 6 sides of the door. The product that I am using Sikkens Cetol has to have at least 24 hours between coats. So I do not have to continue to take the 10" double doors up and down what do you think about sealing the bottom of the door with a good quality exterior latex paint that will not require 3 coats? Since the bottom will not be seen I thought that paint wood seal as good if not better than other finish.

Any recommendations on something that might be even better that latex paint?

thanks,
GLS

GLS0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

I think that would work- but latexs have a little tendency to remain a bit "sticky" and might make the door squeak on the threshold.
A bonding primer like 123 which seals would be better. I often use shellac or pigmented shellac, or a quick drying oil like Cover Stain, You do need to be careful not to get anything to come around on the front. Might be best to get the visible sides done first- then seal the top and bottom so you could easily wipe off anything that came around.
You could also use whatever clear you were finishing the stained doors with.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #3

If you used this for a sealer it will dry much faster, self level and will give you far more UV protection then someting like Helsman Spar.
http://store.bristolfinish.com/tradi...quart-kit.html
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Brushjockey and Joecaptain thanks for your replies. My concern with the Bristol product is that if you are talking about using it on the door I am trying to get away from the orange/amber/yellow tint of the product. I was thinking that it was a little expensive to only use on the bottom of the door but if it works better I guess it will be worth it.

thanks,
GLS
Old 08-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Won't the Sikkens yellow? I don't know- i don't use the stuff.
I have used Zars exterior waterborne poly, and I like that .
Dries quick easy to handle .
Link to Zar
Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

I have been told that it will not by a couple of painters near me. I called Sikkens and they also told me that it would not yellow like a spar/marine varnish. I am not sure if I believe them always. Said that it has something to do with the way it is put together and that the UV protection comes from the solids in the stain instead of just the topcoat. I read were they do not recommend 3 coats of the clear alone for that reason. Not sure. I am banking on input from DYI/professional users about the product more than anything.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #7

Is there weatherstrip of some sort on this bottom edge? Maybe a brass interlocking strip/threshold? If not, then use a bendable paint pad to apply whatever finish in however many coats necessary, with the door installed.

Name:  PaintPad.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  3.6 KB

dogris is offline   Reply With Quote