Sealed Concrete - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 161

Sealed concrete

I have a very smooth concrete floor on a screened in porch. The concrete was given a quick one coat sealer by the concrete Co. Not much of a sealer job. I want to paint over it with a light color epoxy paint or any paint made for outdoor concrete. My paint store is advising me to power wash the concrete first,& there could be a problem getting a paint or epoxy finish to bond to the concrete because of the sealer. Can someone tell me for sure that the original sealer could cause a problem. I don't think the original sealer job was of any real value. It was a quick spray applied using a pump up garden sprayer. Application took no more than ten minutes to do on a 14' x 18' concrete slab. The slab is now one year old & in excellent condition. The only concern is applying a solid color finish over the clear sealer. Thanks.

Advertisement

maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 596

Sealed concrete

If the concrete has a sealer on it you will have to remove the sealer before applying your epoxy coating. Sealer can be removed through a mechanical method (usually grinding or blasting) or using chemical stripper. If the concrete floor is smooth it will also need to be etched (make the surface almost like 120 grit sandpaper), the surface should be cleaned using a detergent that will degrease it.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Sealed concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
If the concrete has a sealer on it you will have to remove the sealer before applying your epoxy coating. Sealer can be removed through a mechanical method (usually grinding or blasting) or using chemical stripper. If the concrete floor is smooth it will also need to be etched (make the surface almost like 120 grit sandpaper), the surface should be cleaned using a detergent that will degrease it.
My paint store did mention chemical stripper as well as sanding it. I really don't think there is much left of the sealer. That is to say, there is no "Shine" on the surface of the concrete, but it's a real smooth finish. The concrete contractor finished it using rotary powered float to bring a real smooth finish. It looks real good. Wish they did not put on the sealer.

I moved out of lower Hudson Valley two years ago (orange county, Warwick town) All my life in NY. Got disgusted with the taxes, corruption, snow & ice. Retired & could no longer afford to live there. Things are a little easier here in South Carolina. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Sealed concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
My paint store did mention chemical stripper as well as sanding it. I really don't think there is much left of the sealer. That is to say, there is no "Shine" on the surface of the concrete, but it's a real smooth finish. The concrete contractor finished it using rotary powered float to bring a real smooth finish. It looks real good. Wish they did not put on the sealer.

I moved out of lower Hudson Valley two years ago (orange county, Warwick town) All my life in NY. Got disgusted with the taxes, corruption, snow & ice. Retired & could no longer afford to live there. Things are a little easier here in South Carolina. Thanks.
Test it. Pour some water in different areas and see if the water beads up. Depending on the sealer they used and other factors it may be worn off. If applying an epoxy or other coating you still need to clean it well and you should etch the concrete to a consistency of about 120 grit sandpaper for bite. You can buy concrete etching solution at Sherwin Williams, probably other places too.

By the way I understand what you mean about NY.

Last edited by housepaintingny; 03-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Sealed concrete

Anything short of diamond grinding would be quite risky in your situation. Even if the sealer is mostly worn off it could easily cause adhesion problems. Also, as mentioned epoxy coating require a rough surface profile to adhere. Unless the concrete has a rough profile already, acid etching is highly unlikely to sufficiently etch the surface. The fact that its been sealed at all also reduces the chance of successful acid etching because the acid has no effect on the sealer.

If you want to do it right and not worry about a flaking disaster, grind the floor. You can usually rent floor grinders (not the same machine used on wood floors) at Sherwin Williams or any large rental yard. It's not hard to do, it just takes time.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Sealed concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Anything short of diamond grinding would be quite risky in your situation. Even if the sealer is mostly worn off it could easily cause adhesion problems. Also, as mentioned epoxy coating require a rough surface profile to adhere. Unless the concrete has a rough profile already, acid etching is highly unlikely to sufficiently etch the surface. The fact that its been sealed at all also reduces the chance of successful acid etching because the acid has no effect on the sealer.

If you want to do it right and not worry about a flaking disaster, grind the floor. You can usually rent floor grinders (not the same machine used on wood floors) at Sherwin Williams or any large rental yard. It's not hard to do, it just takes time.
If you have a concrete floor with no sealer on it acid etching using the correct acid will etch the floor to a suitable profile for epoxy. You are correct that acid etching will not generally remove sealer.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #7

Sealed concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Test it. Pour some water in different areas and see if the water beads up. Depending on the sealer they used and other factors it may be worn off. If applying an epoxy or other coating you still need to clean it well and you should etch the concrete to a consistency of about 120 grit sandpaper for bite. You can buy concrete etching solution at Sherwin Williams, probably other places too.

By the way I understand what you mean about NY.
Thanks- I will try tat water bead test. Lots of good advice here. I'm sure it will have a happy ending.

Advertisement