Satin Versus Flat Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

satin versus flat paint

I have a bedroom and attached bath i'm going to paint...should i use a satin or flat paint?

Advertisement

wuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

satin versus flat paint

I would go with eggshell finish and not flat for washable reasons. No Flat in the bathroom!

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 678

satin versus flat paint

Flat will show every hand print, very hard to clean. The glossyer the better on bathroom walls.
The ceiling should be flat to show less flaws.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

satin versus flat paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Flat will show every hand print, very hard to clean. The glossyer the better on bathroom walls.
The ceiling should be flat to show less flaws.
Joe I wish you would stop with this advice. Good quality flat is no harder to clean than anything else. Client's kids have taken their dirty, slimy hands to Aura flat since it came out and cleaning has never been a problem. And gloss isn't always better for bathroom walls. And if it is better for the walls it is better for the ceiling too.

You may paint these rooms any sheen you want. The higher the sheen the more surface defects will show. Going to a semi-gloss in a small enclosed, steamy bath may be a good idea for the ability to wipe it down if the walls stay moist and build up algae. If there is adequate ventilation a satin or certainly an eggshell will do as well. Semi-gloss baths tend to look a little institutional also.

And you may paint the ceiling with any sheen you want also. And it doesn't have to be white.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

satin versus flat paint

Sds and Joe- I'm going to sit in the middle on this one.
I do think some sheen is good for a bath with humidity. Although most flats are not true flats ( like a ceiling paint) and have some wash, they still let moisture penetrate more.
I almost always recommend an eggshell for baths.

And wuber- realize that different co call the sheens different things.
For instance a satin in BM is higher than an eggshell, in SW it is lower.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

satin versus flat paint

Wasn't trying to start a battle or force people to draw sides or hide in the middle.

I certainly would prefer something other than flat for a bath. I have painted flat in a bath though and can think of one in a very expensive situation where that is what the client wanted. It is holding up just fine but has plenty of ventilation and does not get moist and soggy. I wouldn't walk away from painting with flat based on nonsense about it not being washable.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

satin versus flat paint

[quote=sdsester;996012]Wasn't trying to start a battle or force people to draw sides or hide in the middle.

I certainly would prefer something other than flat for a bath. I have painted flat in a bath though and can think of one in a very expensive situation where that is what the client wanted. It is holding up just fine but has plenty of ventilation and does not get moist and soggy. I wouldn't walk away from painting with flat based on nonsense about it not being washable.[/quote]

As you have said, todays QUALITY flats are and have been wasable. The problem lies in it means a trip to a real paint store and not the local big box.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 296

satin versus flat paint

True- most premium flats have good solids and a slight angular sheen to them (some up to 10 units @85 degrees). This makes them washable, not necessarily scrubbable. In a high humidity environment, a higher sheen may be preferable.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

satin versus flat paint

Is the matte in aura more washable than the matte (or equivalent) in regal select, in your experience? Trying to decide if its worth the $$$. Definitely don't want anything shiny on my plaster walls, which will probably be even more flawed after I'm done with them. heh.
MEE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

satin versus flat paint

Yes, that is one of Auras selling points. But know that no paint is fully washable before fully cured, 2-4 weeks depending on what, humidity etc.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

satin versus flat paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Sds and Joe- I'm going to sit in the middle on this one.
I'm gonna sit off to the side and watch um duke it out with roller and brush, no putty knives or spray guns, boys. You could get hurt sitting in the middle.
And just my non-pro opinion, while good flat can be as easy to clean as glossier, it just seems to show "dirt" quicker. On the other hand ( I can be a messy painter and get paint on both hands,) glossier shows surface imperfections more. One armed paper hangers only get one opinion.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

satin versus flat paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
I'm gonna sit off to the side and watch um duke it out with roller and brush, no putty knives or spray guns, boys. You could get hurt sitting in the middle.
And just my non-pro opinion, while good flat can be as easy to clean as glossier, it just seems to show "dirt" quicker. On the other hand ( I can be a messy painter and get paint on both hands,) glossier shows surface imperfections more. One armed paper hangers only get one opinion.

watch it

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote