Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

Share |

Satin paint and prime over semi-gloss

The gentleman at lowes mixed me semi-gloss paint and primer instead of Satin. After dried it was to shinny and did not notice it was semi-gloss until I was painting the bass boards.

Can I paint satin paint and prime without priming first?
DebMcniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #2

I can't speak to Valspar paints, however, a good quality 100% Acrylic Satin should adhere with no problem while the semi-gloss coating is fresh. You should contact the manufacturer online rather than ask a box-store clerk.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The only problem you might have is that the semi-gloss may try to complete its 30 day surface cure underneath the satin. You might want to wait if you can.

By the way, there is no such thing as primer and paint in one.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

You can do that but a quick scuff sand would be the best for max adhesion. Just remember that a surface should be clean dull and dry and paint will stick. Also all 100% acrylic paints are self priming and nothing replaces a good primer.
shives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

I would just quickly scuff sand to make sure. Satin is similar enough to semi-gloss that i doubt there would be a problem anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

There would be no difference between applying a "third" coat of satin over semi-gloss and applying a third coat of semi. As long as the last coat of semi is dry to recoat, have at it. Your satin will probably have a bit more sheen than normal due to the semi undercoat, you might want to do a fourth, or second coat of satin.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote