Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #1

Share |

Satin or Flat for Exterior Paint Sheen?? Which is most durable/protective?

I am curious to what most people use on the exterior of homes, flat or satin??? I know flat is not the easiest to keep clean on the inside so it caused me to wonder how it performs on the exterior. Flat would be my first choice based on it's performance. I will be using Sherwin Williams Duration paint.

Is there any difference between durability (how long the paint holds it's color) b/t the flat and satin?

Also, is there a major difference in how either sheen's are affected by weather?

Does the satin sheen resist moisture any better due to the rain rolling off it faster?

Finally is there much difference between the two when cleaning the separate different finishes?

DamonBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #2

PermaLast latex paint by Sherwin Williams, Valspar's exterior is good too. you can read online reviews before you decide to buy any paint. its a great help.

Dana

Dana11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #3

Satin/Eggshell will protect better against moisture and is easier to clean but makes any imperfections in the wood stand out more than a flat paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Satin

On exteriors out here (the Land of Rust and Mildew....and/or regular cleaning with a mildecide at least), we would only even consider a flat-type exterior stain or a super wash-able mold/mildew resistant flat like Aura Exterior as far as flats go
They are basically mold farms
Most Paint Stores out here don't even carry a traditional flat exterior paint for those reasons
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

I've used Kelley-Moore Lo-Sheen (the first entry in the sheen ladder) on trim, fence posts, deck handrails. Especially on rough cut lumber, it looks terrific.

But... In dark colors, and particularly horizontal surfaces (like a flat deck handrail), it does *not last long. Measured in months. Vertical surfaces and rough-cut trim last longer.

It's all about sun exposure, evidently.
shasta37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #6

I meant the sheen-level not lasting very long. Not the paint or the color retention.
shasta37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #7

By what I understand, Duration Exterior has good gloss retention. But for all paints that depends on the color and UV exposure. (Color and sheen are visually linked.) Deep reds and bright yellows are the first to go, and all others will be affected to some point through time.

Duration Exterior contains mildew killers, just like all Sherwin Williams exterior paints (even the cheap A-100). Duration is also supposed to be the easiest to clean, for interiors at least.

I can tell you that Duration Exterior is a pain in the to brush or roll. The stuff is so thick (liquid plastic) that if your paint surface is slightly warm the paint will start beading up on the brush. If you can't do it in shade or spray it, buy SW Super Paint (25 yr. warranty, thinner formula, just as good as Duration Ext. unless you plan on living in that residence for 50 years).

Also, both SW Duration Ext. and Super Paint are safe for painting vinyl siding (dark colors won't warp the vinyl).

joenusz is offline   Reply With Quote