Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Satin Ext. Duration - Poor ease of use and leveling??

I've been using Duration for my ext. trim. Is it my technique or does this paint create brush drag and not level out all that well.

I also find that it's more tempramental to surface temps. It seems to like a cool surface temp is a must and you must work quickly and refrain from brushing it out much.

Would a dose of Flotrol help?

Is Auro or something else a better choice? I really want the paint to level out better on my metal gutters and trim. I thought Duration was about the best ext. paint out there but have some concerns.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

there are MUCH better choices for exterior trim paints than durations. there was a thread just a bit ago about this paint and i recommended against using it. SW makes better trim paint for outdoors anyway.

something like Benjamin Moore's Impervo/Impervex metal & wood paint works nicely for trimming (especially the oil-based version) and has an incredible spread rate. For a regular latex exterior, BM's moorglo soft-gloss is another great paint @ around $50 per gallon. No, I don't work for BM. Ace's Exterior Royal Line of Semigloss paints is a good paint (not so much for leveling) but it does cover exceptionally well given good painting circumstances. If you want your paint to level more, you probably want to drift towards using an Oil-based product.

noboru wataya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh
I thought Duration was about the best ext. paint out there but have some concerns.
It is an excellent paint
However it's thick enough to give a professional "Popeye Arms" trying to move it along the surface, and try to use it in the direct sun or on warm substrate (like a sun-warmed gutter) and it can drag within inches of making your pass

Popeye Uses Duration
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh
Is Auro or something else a better choice? I really want the paint to level out better on my metal gutters and trim
You still need to follow the sun (keep it out of direct sunlight), but yes Aura Ext Low Lustre (satin) or Flat has the "high-build" and excellent leveling of Duration...but w/o the Popeye Arms
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote