Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
retired guy

Rewards Points: 77

sap bleeding on deck

I asked this question before, but can't find the answers I received. I recently stained my pt deck with SW Deckscapes solid stain. I brushed on two coats. Looks great. Is wearing well, but the sap or resin or whatever it is, is showing up all over. What do I need to do to remove it, and keep it at bay? Thanks.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 131

sap bleeding on deck

Sap from a tree in the yard or sap from the wood used for the deck? Is the wood new?

Frank Lardino

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
retired guy

Rewards Points: 77

sap bleeding on deck

The deck was installed in 07. I stained it 2-3 months ago after pressure washing. The sap is oozing from the deck boards randomly across the surface.
igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

sap bleeding on deck

You have likely had some really really hot days in the past couple of weeks that have caused the sap to come out of the wood.

Gently scrape it off.

And I don't think you can stop it from occuring again. But eventually, the sap will stop running.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

sap bleeding on deck

My deck was replaced in mid 2012 and sap continues to ooze from the deck boards. The service my homeowner's association hired believes it is due to the type of stain that was applied. The deck was power washed on August 4 and it looks like the wash actually intensified the sap. According to your answer to another person and articles I read online, the sap will eventually run out. It has been two years and the sap continues to rear its ugly head from spring to fall through all of the deck boards. I think the deck boards need to be replaced.

If the deck boards are replaced with treated wood, how long should I wait before the stain is applied?

Thanks!

Pauline
P. Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 528

sap bleeding on deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Perrone View Post
My deck was replaced in mid 2012 and sap continues to ooze from the deck boards. The service my homeowner's association hired believes it is due to the type of stain that was applied. The deck was power washed on August 4 and it looks like the wash actually intensified the sap. According to your answer to another person and articles I read online, the sap will eventually run out. It has been two years and the sap continues to rear its ugly head from spring to fall through all of the deck boards. I think the deck boards need to be replaced.

If the deck boards are replaced with treated wood, how long should I wait before the stain is applied?

Thanks!

Pauline
If you replace the boards, maybe consider composite deck boards. Although more expensive at the outset, it should more than pay for itself by not requiring as much maintenance as wood decking. I don't have a deck but if I did, I would definitely choose composite over wood.

Here's an excerpt from a thisoldhouse webpage:

"Long on life span and short on fuss, these man-made boards never splinter, rot, or need staining. The TOH team explains everything you need to know about selecting, installing, and caring for this thoroughly modern material."

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...364011,00.html

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,276

sap bleeding on deck

They also have some downsides,
in hot weather they become very hot to walk on
more expensive to buy
more expensive to install 12" centers
color tends to fade
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 528

sap bleeding on deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
They also have some downsides,
in hot weather they become very hot to walk on
more expensive to buy
more expensive to install 12" centers
color tends to fade
The cost is not a consideration for me but I didn't realize that they become very hot to walk on. Thanks for pointing that out.

HRG

Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-21-2014)