DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sanding previously painted woodwork

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MinConst 
#1 ·
I'm repainting the wood trim in my master bedroom. It's been painted about 5-6 times before. The house is approximately 55 years old. I'm hesitant to just slap on another coat over the existing paint for several reasons. 1) previous applications weren't done properly, so there's dripping and clumping and areas where the detail in the trim has been completely covered and 2) If I recoat the doors and frames without removing something, the doors won't close anymore. I'm sending the doors out to be dipped (they're solid wood, and I don't want to replace them with the hollow crap you buy at home stores these days), but I need to do some paint removal and sanding on the rest of the wood work. I'm at a loss for what to do, because I'm NOT in the mood to chemically strip everything. There's too much paint on there, and the job is far too messy. If possible, I'd like to knock down the top 1-2 coats and sand everything down evenly before I start painting. Any suggestions on how to do this relatively easily and mess free? Is there a certain sanding technique or materials I should use? I tried this once before on woodwork, and the "scraping" method left chips of paint on the wood that didn't come off. This was very noticeable when repainted.Thanks in advance for the advice.

#2 ·
In a case like yours, the best way is to replace the molding
There is no quick and easy, non-messy way to strip that much paint off molding

The molding will have to be removed and re-installed no matter how you choose, so there's no labor saving there

Stripping the wood is messy and time consuming
Also the chemicals that work are not cheap
And that's alot of paint
So I don't think you'll save any money stripping what you have
It's possible, but you would pay in time and mess

And you'll still have to finish the stripped or new trim
So there's no labor/money savings there

If the molding, for whatever reason, has to be re-used, I would contact a profesional furniture stripper

I know my guy could give me an estimate over the phone if I gave him the linear footage of the trim
He might need a small piece to be more accurate, but he could give me an idea
You might want to call the guy doing the doors and ask him

It really doesn't sound like any hand-sanding with the trim in place is going to cut it
Unless your trim is real flat, a machine probably won't work either
In either case I do not think the finish you would get with those methods would be worth the effort
I think it's grin and paint it or go whole hog

#3 ·
MWM,
Chemical stripper is the only way to go. You can burn it off with a heat gun but this can be dangerous. We use to use a blow torch to blister and scape but again this can be dangerous if your not experanced. I would go with Slicks recommendation and replace what you can with new.

#5 ·
ProWallGuy said:
Find and buy a product called Quicksand sanding blocks.
They are like sanding sponges, only a much tougher grit, and they do work to strip layers of paint off.
:eek:
Layers of decade old paint?
W/o removing the trim?
Cool
Do they contour to trim?
I was in the Paint store this AM and they don't carry them
I don't have need of any right now but I'd try them out on some of my trim at my house
Always looking for good tools
:cool:

#6 ·
slickshift said:
:eek:
Layers of decade old paint?
W/o removing the trim?
Cool
Do they contour to trim?
I was in the Paint store this AM and they don't carry them
I don't have need of any right now but I'd try them out on some of my trim at my house
Always looking for good tools
:cool:
Yes, they work as described. They suck to use, because the only way to make them work involves major elbow-grease and buckets of sweat. But yes they work.

Buy one for each different style of trim ,as they will conform to the shape, making each successive piece of trim easier IMO.

Imagine a pumice stone, only slightly softer. As you use them, they will wear away and conform to the shape.

Also, we used these in several old houses, and always used a lead-abatement machine (industrial air scrubber) while working. They do kick up dust, so be aware of the health/safety concerns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.