Sanding & Painting Mdf Interior Door Frames? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sanding & painting mdf interior door frames?

I let my wife talk me into going the "cheaper" route and we went with hollow prefinished and prehung white doors. I am beginning to regret my decision..

The door themselves are ok. They do have flaws in which the edges of the doors need to be sanded and painted so it's inevitable that all 10 of my doors will need to be painted. However I am more concerned about the door frames. The finish on the frames are so cheap you can clearly tell they have a "white paper" finish. There are several spots on all of the frames where the "paper finish" bubbled slightly or have imperfections that look like a wrinkled piece of paper. They aren't noticeable until you get right up on top of it but since I know they are there it's been bugging me since day one.

Long story short.. is it possible to sand these frames down, paint them and get a more professional smooth finish without the frames looking like particle board?

Help??

Advertisement

Last edited by jk30; 08-11-2014 at 12:22 AM.
jk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

I've never once seen a prehung MDF door that did not have wooden jambs and just a poorly done primer finish.
If there as bad as you say they are I'd take them back and find another place to buy them without that coating on them.

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,500

What do you mean by "prefinished"? The doors around here are all only primed, meant to be finish painted at home. Basically, you're supposed to sand and paint them.

But yes, it's possible to refinish them however you want with paint.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote