Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sanding deck, now what

I appreciate the time you take to read this long post and share any advice you may have!

Deck = 14x28 + privacy walls with lattice + 88 spindles + 8 steps
SE Michigan
4' off the ground with open access on mostly 3 sides
made of pine/cedar? .. whatever is cheaper for contractors
12 years old with very little maintenance/if any performed by previous owner of 11 years
Wood is structurally sound and is looking good after sanding.
previous stain was oiled based

I am 70% done sanding and plan on staining ASAP.

A. Its raining outside with a forecast for possible rain the next few days.
Do I need to panic about the part that is sanded? Several days of rain not that big of a deal? The sanded portions turn a very dark/black color when wet .. whats up with that?
.5-3" of rain total forecasted for the week.

B. Once the sanding is done: power wash lightly, 3 day dry time, and then stain? Do I need to use a chemical cleaner etc? The idea of using paint thinner and wiping up doesnt seem as effective to remove all dust/wood particles??

C. The parts I cannot get a sander in (spindle sides), I was going to use a stirpper before the final power wash .. any issues there? I expect slightly discolor from rest of deck. Any issues?

D. Finally the most common ? - what brand of semi-transparent stain to use ... I am just accepting the fact that I will have to power wash annually and stain every 2 years.
I am leaning towards Max. Olympic or Cabot? I want TWP but have to order online and dont want to deal with that. Sikkens is just to pricey for my budget.

Again, thank you for getting through this!

akaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

sanding deck, now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaJoe
I appreciate the time you take to read this long post and share any advice you may have!

Deck = 14x28 + privacy walls with lattice + 88 spindles + 8 steps
SE Michigan
4' off the ground with open access on mostly 3 sides
made of pine/cedar? .. whatever is cheaper for contractors
12 years old with very little maintenance/if any performed by previous owner of 11 years
Wood is structurally sound and is looking good after sanding.
previous stain was oiled based

I am 70% done sanding and plan on staining ASAP.

A. Its raining outside with a forecast for possible rain the next few days.
Do I need to panic about the part that is sanded? Several days of rain not that big of a deal? The sanded portions turn a very dark/black color when wet .. whats up with that?
.5-3" of rain total forecasted for the week.

B. Once the sanding is done: power wash lightly, 3 day dry time, and then stain? Do I need to use a chemical cleaner etc? The idea of using paint thinner and wiping up doesnt seem as effective to remove all dust/wood particles??

C. The parts I cannot get a sander in (spindle sides), I was going to use a stirpper before the final power wash .. any issues there? I expect slightly discolor from rest of deck. Any issues?

D. Finally the most common ? - what brand of semi-transparent stain to use ... I am just accepting the fact that I will have to power wash annually and stain every 2 years.
I am leaning towards Max. Olympic or Cabot? I want TWP but have to order online and dont want to deal with that. Sikkens is just to pricey for my budget.

Again, thank you for getting through this!
A; IMO, it won't be a big deal for the deck to get wet for a few days In between sanding and staining as long as the wood is dry before you apply stain. A digital moisture meter is an invaluable tool when judging if wood is dry enough to stain or not. Simple ones are cheap (30$ or so), or you can often rent/borrow one from local paint suppliers (probably not box stores though).

The wood looks black when wet because its weathered/grayed over the years. When the wood is wet, that's a pretty good approximation of what it will look like with a clear sealer.

B; Don't clean the wood with paint thinner. Mineral spirits/thinner leaves an oily residue after evaporation, and even with oil stain, that is not good.

C; if you use a stripper at all it will most likely need to be neutralized before staining. One system for doing this is; strip the parts you want to strip,being carefully not to drip too much chemical on areas not being stripped. Then use a wood brightener on the whole deck. This will neutralize the stripper and brighten/even out the whole deck. Maybe don't give up on sanding between the pickets just yet, Dewalt makes a 'low profile' orbital sander that will sometimes fit between the pickets. You could measure and check the fit before buying.

D; I like the Olympic toner. It penetrates well, and I've been getting 3 yrs average out of it.
It also looks good on properly prepped decks.

Sanding is the best prep you can do for a deck IMO. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sanding deck, now what

"Then use a wood brightener on the whole deck'

I understand the neutralizing of the stripper but will the brightener do anything to the sanded part?
akaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

sanding deck, now what

Yes, the brightner will brighten the entire deck, i.e the place where you stripped/neutralised and the just sanded part...Brightners are usually just mild acids, citric and/or oxalic - in powder or liquid form - their purpose is basically twofold: 1 to neutralise stripppers and cleaners used prior to brightning and 2, to restore the entire deck's pH to just acidic, ie. around pH=6 or so. This makes it better to stain.

But by "brightning", you also clean it a wee bit. There'll be no harm done to anything - even just sanded new wood, although technically new wod wouldn't need to be brightened as much as old wood would.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-25-2013)

Tags
deck cleaning, deck sanded and rain, deck sanding, deck staining