Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Share |

Sanding after removing wallpaper...

I'm going to be sanding the walls in my family room in preparation for paint. The old wall paper is off the walls and I've done as much as I could with "Chomp" and a spray bottle/scraper. The glue is just an absolute nightmare to get off that way. I sanded a small spot by hand with some 220 git and the old glue came off no problem - and I don’t' need to worry about constantly gouging the walls - like I have been doing!!

Quick question….would a sander like this work for the job?? I'm a little overwhelmed looking at the room thinking that I have to sand all the walls by hand with a sanding block.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...der-98895.html

Also, any tips for wall prep after sanding prior to painting??? I use B Moore Regal Select paint.

Thanks!!!

dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #2

Yea, that sander would work. Might be a little strong for sanding drywall, just don't hold it in one place too long, keep the sander moving.
I often use a regular electric random orbital hooked up to a shop vac to sand walls.

Even if you use a vacuum sander, you still will need to dust the walls good before painting.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

That's fine, or a regular random orbital sander will probably be of more use to you for future products (not clear to me if that sander is random orbital or not.)

I would use a product such as Gardz to prime before painting, to make sure any adhesive residue is sealed in. No other primer is necessary before painting. I would also not use 220 grit - I'd use more like 120.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

I didn't see that it said 'random orbital' anywhere in the add for that sander. That probably means its just an straight orbital. That just means it spins constantly instead of randomly depending on the pressure applied.
That's why I said it may be a little strong for drywall.

I would think you would be better of with a random orbital. Less chance of making a mistake and digging into the drywall.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

[QUOTE=jeffnc;1245422]That's fine, or a regular random orbital sander will probably be of more use to you for future products (not clear to me if that sander is random orbital or not.)

I would use a product such as Gardz to prime before painting, to make sure any adhesive residue is sealed in. No other primer is necessary before painting. I would also not use 220 grit - I'd use more like 120.[/QUOTE]

for sure
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote